FPGA Intellectual Property
PCI Express*, Networking and Connectivity, Memory Interfaces, DSP IP, and Video IP
6343 Discussions

Interfacing an APB-based IP to an Avalon-based system

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi all, 

I have a NIOS-II based system which is using Avalon switch fabric for interconnecting all the different blocks. I have made the system using SOPC Builder. Now, I want to add an IP which uses APB interface through SOPC. My questions are: 

- Are there any "ready" bridges between Avalon and ARM AMBA busses? I have looked into the components available in SOPC but I couldn't find any. 

- In case that no bridges are available, I assume that I need to add a wrapper around the IP and glue it to the system as an Avalon slave. Is there any tutorial/documentation on how to do that? I am looking currently at the Avalon bus specification but any other useful tutorial will be highly appreciated. 

Thanks in advance. 

Best regards, 

Mohamed
0 Kudos
1 Reply
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I think SOPC only supports the Avalon Bus, but I guess some busses like wishbone that have similar interfaces might work.  

What I do know is that if you want to do a wrapper you need to create a custom component for SOPC builder. You can find information about custom components in the SOPC Builder part of the Quartus II handbook, http://www.altera.com/literature/lit-sop.jsp 

Best Regards, 

Ola Bångdahl
0 Kudos