FPGA Intellectual Property
PCI Express*, Networking and Connectivity, Memory Interfaces, DSP IP, and Video IP
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
5950 Discussions

Is it possible to monitor LTSSM signals on TEST_OUT bus for PCIe Hard IP?

MZama2
Beginner

Hi guys,

I was wondering if it is possible to monitor LTSSM signals on TEST_OUT bus. I am using a Cyclone IV GX Transceiver starter kit provided by Altera and have parametrized a PCIe Hard IP in QSYS. I am following the the reference design sample, which as I can see TEST_IN bus is initialized and then TEST_OUT bus is polled to detect L0 state as below:

assign test_in[30 : 32] = 0;

assign test_in[31 : 9] = 0;

assign test_in[4 : 0] = 4'b0101;

assign test_in[4 : 0] = 5'b01000;

L0_led <= ~(test_out_icm[4:0] == 5'b01111)

but when i am trying this (I am tapping LTSSM and TEST_OUT on SignalTap), i can not find any correlation between TEST_OUT and LTSSM signals.

LTSSM signal reaches to L0 (5'b01111) and remains stable but TEST_OUT is switching between

0058002043100000h

0058002143100000h

0058002143101000h

Any comment is appreciated. Thanks.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
BoonT_Intel

Hi Sir,

The LTSSM signal is not export to the test_out, thus we can't monitor the LTSSM using test_out bus. Basically, the test_out signal is just a PIPE status signal as describe in this document.

MZama2
Beginner

Thanks for your comments.

But what I get from the reference example provided for Cyclone IV GX Tranceiver Starter kit​, it polls test_out[4:0] to detect the transition to L0 state (0x0f). How we can explain this?

BoonT_Intel

Hi,

I am sorry to said that CIV is a legacy device and we do not have details information about it. What I say here is follow the document, the test_out is for pipe status signal and my understand is these signal is used for internal debug previously. If you want to know the LTSSM, I will suggest you monitor the LTSSM signal directly.