FPGA Intellectual Property
PCI Express*, Networking and Connectivity, Memory Interfaces, DSP IP, and Video IP

Mobile DDR

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi together, 

I´m a beginner in programming FPGAs.  

I want to use Mobile DDR SDRAM in my Design. This Mobile DDR (Micron) works normally with the I/O standard 1.8V LVCMOS. Unfortunately I am not able to compile my design with this I/O standard in combination with the DDR SDRAM high-performance controller. The suggestion of Quartus is to change the I/O standard to either HSTL or SSTL. 

Are these standards working with Mobile DDR which has the I/O standard 1.8V LVCMOS? 

Do I need to use the dedicated DQS and DQ pins or can I also use other I/O pins? 

It would be great to get helpful answers. 

Regards 

Spitzinger
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

What is the actual part you are using?

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I´m using a cyclone III ep3c16f484

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

And what mobile ddr part number?

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Micron MT46H32M32LF

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

http://www.altera.com/support/kdb/solutions/rd01042008_628.html?gsa_pos=3&wt.oss_r=1&wt.oss=mobile%20ddr 

Best i can come up with, but basically answers your question. The altera core calculates all of it's timing values and operation based on a SSTL, so pretty sure won't work with your mobile device. Quartus is suggesting you change the io standard because that is what the core is designed to work with, not because it is what you should actually do. Haven't checked but there may also be differences in the actual operation of the two devices(mobile and non mobile) that would cause the core to not work. 

Sorry 

Kevin
0 Kudos