FPGA Intellectual Property
PCI Express*, Networking and Connectivity, Memory Interfaces, DSP IP, and Video IP
6343 Discussions

Newbie Question: Access DPR outside SOPC Builder

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

I'm currently having trouble to set up a connection to a megawizard created Dual Port RAM. I want to make it accessible from within NIOS as if it was a normal RAM inside NIOS-II via a DMA memory-to-memory access. 

Is there an IP you can use for this type of access ? Do you need any kind of bridge for that? I can't believe that there is no IP for that kind of common issue. 

I currently tried to build my "own" interface out of PIOs, but I can't do that because of latency issues, can I ? 

See the attachments for further information. 

I would highly appreciate your help! 

Thx =)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi andreg, 

I had the same need as you. 

Please refer to the following thread I started last month for some ideas: 

http://www.alteraforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24965 

Actually, I eventually ended up with a different and simpler approach. 

I instantiated the dpr external to the sopc system and used the sopc tristate bus to access it. In my design this was enough; maybe this is not good for your case if you have strong performance requirements. 

Regards 

Cris
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi andreg, 

I see wrong things in your code. Check if they are only copy and paste errors or actual code errors: 

- in alt_dma_rxchan_prepare(), the 4th parameter should be dma_done, namely the pointer to function to be called upon dma completion 

- you wait dma completion testing a rx_done variable, but you actually set the other variable dma_complete when dma completes  

- are you sure the tx_data and rx_buffer addresses you provide match those of memories connected to tx/rx dma: you should use system.h defines instead of numeric values. 

I have a design similar to your one and it works perfectly. 

I tried to use your same code (with the above corrections) and the dma performs correctly. 

The only differences being: 

- dma width is 16bits 

- tx dma is from external sram connected to sopc tristate bus 

- rx dma is to the main sdram and not a separate onchip memory 

(I don't think you need that descriptor memory; you are not using a sgdma module) 

Final note: pay attention to define rx_done as volatile, otherwise compiler may assume the while loop never ends. 

Regards 

Cris
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi andreg, 

Probably you have an error in tx_chan address and you are making dma transfer from the wrong memory area.. 

Is the tristate bus width 32?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

well I think I found some kind of reason for the problem. 

I changed some settings in the interface tab of the dpr interface (see attachment) and added a clock sink connected from sopc. It seems to work now, I'll figure it out. 

Eventually, the attachment can help someone. 

Thank you Cris72 for your fast and professional help! =)
0 Kudos