FPGA Intellectual Property
PCI Express*, Networking and Connectivity, Memory Interfaces, DSP IP, and Video IP
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
5878 Discussions

Output of lpm_divide is x's when inputs are 0 in modelsim

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I am doing simulations in a design that uses the lpm_divide megafunction. I noticed that I am having issues since the output of lpm_divide is x's (for both outputs) when the inputs are 0. Is there any way to change the output to 0 without causing any additional latency?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Although zero divide by zero is mathematically NAN (not-a-number), a parallel divider should give a defined '0'/'1' bit vector.  

I don't see a reason to expect an all '0' output.  

The MegaFunction user manual specifies 'x' output for divide by zero. I think, this means it's up to the synthesis tool optimization to make individual bit either '0' or '1'. The simulator is apparently reflecting this ambiguity, you should run a gate level simulation to see the actual output. Forcing zero output for divide by zero requires additional logic anyway.
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I can't test it with gate-level simulation so I have to use RTL. Since timing is not even checked in RTL, I guess that I could add that extra logic in since it won't affect anything until I actually compile the design.