FPGA Intellectual Property
PCI Express*, Networking and Connectivity, Memory Interfaces, DSP IP, and Video IP
6355 Discussions

Simulating SCFIFO in modelsim

AKhan15
Beginner

Hello,

I am new to HDL and embedded systems in general so i apologise for asking a dumb question.

I created the SCFIFO from the intel IP core. I only used the asynchronous clear, data, q, read and write request. No other flags were needed for my work. I imported the generated verilog files into modelsim. I then created a test bench to drive those signals as you can see below.

I compiled this using the altera_mf and 220model libraries. When, i tried to simulate it, the q (output read data) is high impedance which would suggest that nothing is connected to it, even though it did the port assignments.

Can you please advise me what am i doing wrong?

Thank you

0 Kudos
4 Replies
AKhan15
Beginner

image.png

0 Kudos
Vicky1
Employee

Hi,

Please provide below details,

1. have you come across any error while simulation? provide log file/ transcript.
  2. provide screenshot of simulation window.

Best Regards

Vikas Jathar 

(This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation)

0 Kudos
MuhammadAr_U_Intel

Hi,

your testbench seems correct. so possible issues are.

1. library files are missing in simulation, it need to be added to vsim command.
  2. connections to fifo in the top level wrapper file is broken.

You can share some more details as @Vicky​  suggested for us to further take a look.

At same time take a look at the simple tutorial for setting up simulation with Native link setup (where all the simulation scripts are handled by quartus), hopefully you will be able to proceed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmVVXQchv2c

Let us know if you have any questions.

Arslan

AKhan15
Beginner

Thanks for the reply.

I think, i've solved the problem. The asynchronous clear in the IP seemed to mess things up. I tried the variant without one and everything was fine.

0 Kudos