FPGA Intellectual Property
PCI Express*, Networking and Connectivity, Memory Interfaces, DSP IP, and Video IP
6343 Discussions

!!!Stratix 10 runs OPENCL BSP: Can't run the Timing Analyzer.Error (23031):Evaluation of Tcl script compile_script.tcl unsuccessful

DLiu5
Beginner

Our customer's PC have 96GB DRAM, when he compiles a BSP(DE10_Pro_OpenCL_BSP_18.1.1.tar.gz, provided byTerasic), it reports: (please see the log information at the end of this text). He did try to set the PC swap memory and re-compile the demos, no difference

! However, we(Terasic) try several times without meeting this issue. Please advice!

0 Kudos
6 Replies
MuhammadAr_U_Intel
Hi, Looking at the current log file you shared i can see there is an Internal Error at the end which means Fitter crashed. Can you ask your customer to try compilation with S10 BSP provided by Intel as part of installer package. What OS your customer is targeting ? Did they used the OpenCL example from installation directory ? Also can you check what is the peak memory utilized by fitter during compilation process, you should be able to check with "top" command in linux or in quartus_sh.log file. Thanks, Arslan
0 Kudos
DLiu5
Beginner

The OS is CentOS Linux release 7.4.1708, and the software is Quartus II 18.1.1, and he did installed the patch indicated in https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/programmable/support/support-resources/knowledge-base/embedded/2019/internal-error--sub-system--qhd--file---quartus-comp-qhd-qhddata.html.

The rest I will ask the customer and reply you soon.

0 Kudos
DLiu5
Beginner

The message from the customer:

The stock s10_ref w/ would s10gx has no compile errors:

aoc device/vector_add.cl -o bin/vector_add.aocx -board=s10gx

However, it only generates these files in bin/ :

l

total 108

-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 55584 May 6 17:15 host

drwxr-xr-x 9 root root 4096 May 6 17:20 vector_add

-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 15200 May 6 16:37 vector_add.aoco

-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 12372 May 6 16:37 vector_add.aocr

-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 12372 May 6 16:37 vector_add.aocx.tmp

Why is there no vector_add.aocx ??

quartus_sh_compile.log attached

swap makes no sense anyhow, the fitter uses 25% of the memory for a

total of 24GB (incl. all processes) w/ nearly 18GB free. Swap remains

unused (0% used).

0 Kudos
DLiu5
Beginner
posted a file.
0 Kudos
DLiu5
Beginner

I asked the customer to use this command instead: aoc -bsp-flow=flat vector_add.cl -o bin/vector_add.aocx -baord=s10_gh2e2 -v, and it works,

"Could you check w/ your engineer

1) which aoc flags and

2) which Linux distribution+version he was using?(We terasic use Centos 7.3.1611   Quartus 18.1.1.263 )

That will also help me.

It still looks like a bug, but if there's a work-around, then OK.

The problem I might get is when "flat" mode does not work, I will need

the non-flat mode, which seems broken.

And I need this under Linux due to HPC and ML kernel execution under

OpenCL. Windows is not an option.

"

0 Kudos
MuhammadAr_U_Intel
Hi, I am glad to know your customer is able to proceed with the workaround using bsp-flow=flat. You might want to suggest customer to give a try using the latest version 19.1 of Quartus / OpenCL to see if this issue is replicated. Thanks, Arslan
0 Kudos