FPGA Intellectual Property
PCI Express*, Networking and Connectivity, Memory Interfaces, DSP IP, and Video IP
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
5951 Discussions

Stratix 10M PCIe BAR0 size incorrect

User1573261788318367

Hi,

I have a super simple design right now. The Stratix 10M PCIe HIP (generated in qsys) has its rxm_bar0 interface exported, and this IP is instantiated in a top-level wrapper. In Qsys, I've configured BAR0 to have a 28-bit size parameter (I assume this is the size of the address), and it is set as 64-bit prefetchable.

In the wrapper, I've hard-coded the rxm_bar0 interface's signals as follows:

• read_waitrequest -> 0
  • readvalid -> 1
  • readdata -> 32'hdeadbeef

On my host machine, I have some simple UIO PCIe driver code that just reads from uio0. When I boot up the machine, in lspci I can see that PCIe device 1172:0000 shows up, but its BAR0 only has "256" as its size. See lspci verbose output below:

04:00.0 Unassigned class [ff00]: Altera Corporation Device 0000 (rev 01) Control: I/O- Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR+ FastB2B- DisINTx- Status: Cap+ 66MHz- UDF- FastB2B- ParErr- DEVSEL=fast >TAbort- <TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR- INTx- Latency: 0, Cache Line Size: 32 bytes Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 28 NUMA node: 0 Region 0: Memory at f3100000 (64-bit, prefetchable) [size=256] Capabilities: <access denied> Kernel driver in use: uio_pci_generic

If I read 4 bytes, I get 0xdeadbeef, as expected. I can increase the number of bytes read to 8 or 16 with no issue. But once I go past 32, I get incorrect data starting from byte 0, and then a bus error, and then the BAR0 becomes disabled.

Does anyone know why this happens? Why isn't the size of BAR0 256 MB (2^28 bytes)?

0 Kudos
7 Replies
User1573261788318367

Update:

I added a Avalon-MM Pipeline Bridge to the Qsys system and exported its master interface instead, and now the "region size" exported from lspci looks correct.

However, I'm still getting bus errors + driver failure if I write more than 16B to BAR0. Can someone tell me if my overall approach is correct?

1. Setup link to FPGA endpoint using uio_pci_generic
  2. Open the file handle at /sys/class/uio/uio0/device/resource0 (I know that this is the correct one). The permissions to the open() call are O_RDWR | O_SYNC.
  3. mmap the file handle returned from step #2. The protection args given to mmap are PROT_READ | PROT_WRITE, and the flag is MAP_SHARED.
  4. memset N bytes to the pointer returned from step #3.
  5. msync the pointer returned from step #3.
  6. Read the pointer returned from step #3 32-bits at a time.

It's after step #6 that things start to act weirdly if I try to access more than 16B.

User1573261788318367

Some more strange behavior. If I comment out the code to memset and msync, I can read entire kilobytes off data off of the bus. HOWEVER, I can only read it 32b at a time. If I try to memcpy a large number of bytes from the uio0, then I get 0xffff_ffff for all the readback data, which is incorrect. If I read the values in a loop 32b at a time, I get 0xdead_beef, which is the expected result.

So, it looks like there is something wrong with *writing* more than 16B at a time to uio0, but reading is fine...

BoonT_Intel

Hi Sir,

my understanding is when you use 64-bit prefetchable memory for the BAR, 2 contiguous BARs are combined to form 64bits prefetchable BAR. Thus, do you disable the BAR1 in your design? Thus, I believe this cause you cannot read more than 32bits each time.

User1573261788318367

BAR1 is disabled.

I figured out that the problem was actually with my memset and msync called, but I can't figure out why they cause bus error. If write to the pointer like u32_ptr[0], u32_ptr[1], etc. then there are no issues, but memset causes bus error.

BoonT_Intel

Sorry, I am not aware about what is memset and msync. Can you elaborate on them? I don't see this signal under the PCIe IP.

User1573261788318367

memset is for setting a large chunk of memory to a certain byte value. msync is for waiting for all in-flight memory transactions to finish. They are C++ functions used in the Linux driver I am writing.

BoonT_Intel

Looks like it is the custom driver issue. Not the IP.