FPGA Intellectual Property
PCI Express*, Networking and Connectivity, Memory Interfaces, DSP IP, and Video IP
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
5886 Discussions

SuperlightII word alignment fails on cable.

RMees
Novice

I have ported the SuperLightII example design on a Nallatech 385 board (ARIA 10 10AX115S2F45I2SGES).

The IP works fine if I use a loopback device on the QSFP port.

But when I connect two ports, each connected to a SuperlightII IP instance, the IP fails to link up most of the time.

I looked into the internal status and I can see that the word alignment is not achieved on 1 or 2 lanes.

On the few occasions that I get linkup, I am able to transfer 32MB of data without error.

I used the transceiver toolkit to check the link. The toolkit never detects any error.

Are there any changes I need to do to the IP for it to work on a cable instead of a loopback device?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Gigi
Beginner

Hi @RMees​ 

Are you using optical or copper cables?

Are you using hardware tested and recommended by Nallatech (now BittWare)?

Thanks,

G

RMees
Novice

At the moment I use a Cisco QSFP-40G-SR4 module, instead of the Finisar that Nallatech has used for testing.

Finisar modules have been ordered and should arrive this week.

I think that if the transceiver toolkit test doesnt detect any errors then the physical link is not causing the problem.

As I understand it the word alignment is reached by the NIOS core adjusting the data capture.

Nathan_R_Intel
Employee
It seems with the QSFP module, the signal is degraded that you cannot achieve word alignment. Suggest to try increasing your Transmitter Vod and Pre-emphasis Post Tap 1 value to check if you can get an error free transmission. Regards, Nathan