FPGA Intellectual Property
PCI Express*, Networking and Connectivity, Memory Interfaces, DSP IP, and Video IP
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
5984 Discussions

Timing problem related to ALT4GXB

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

I thought I had a pretty stable communication using ALT4GXB, but with more logic added into the design the communication become flaky. The byte stream I got on from the receiver in a loop back test in some compiles will be different from the byte stream I sent to the transmitter. In the debugging process I found that even when the only thing changed in a compile is the signaltap file, the result may change. If we strip down the logic the result will become stable again between compiles. But, we are using less than 30% of the resource even with all the logic added in so far.  

I do have some timing violations with the design, but they are all recovery time violations related to some FIFO in a Avalon clock crossing bridge in a SOPC core. If I take the SOPC core off the design, the loopback test runs stable. 

I wasn't planning on resolving those time violations because the Avalon clock crossing bridge are an IP from Altera. But should I? Or are there any timing constraint I can add for the ALT4GXB to constraint the design better? 

Any advice would be very much appreciated. 

Thanks, 

Hua
0 Kudos
0 Replies