FPGA Intellectual Property
PCI Express*, Networking and Connectivity, Memory Interfaces, DSP IP, and Video IP
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
5988 Discussions

UniPHY DDR3 simulation is slow

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I am using Modelsim to simulate a simple UniPHY DDR3 design and it takes ~10 minutes to finish the DDR3 calibration and assert the local_init_done signal. I did enable the Skip Calibration option in MegaWizard. Is there a way to check if calibration is really skipped? The DDR3 I am using runs on 300 MHz (50Mhz reference clock), no hard memory interface, and Avalon is set to Half Rate. Is there any way to speed this up?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

If you are getting a message like this from ModelSim: 

# ** Warning: Design size of 31489 statements exceeds ModelSim Altera Starter recommended capacity. # Expect performance to be adversely affected.  

You should expect the simulation to be slow and the only way around it is to purchase a fully functional version of ModelSim.
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

If you are getting a message like this from ModelSim: 

# ** Warning: Design size of 31489 statements exceeds ModelSim Altera Starter recommended capacity. # Expect performance to be adversely affected.  

You should expect the simulation to be slow and the only way around it is to purchase a fully functional version of ModelSim. 

--- Quote End ---  

I am not seeing this or similar messages in the Modelsim transcript. My project is very basic. It contains one instance of the DDR3 IP and I am trying to do a simple write followed by a read. What performance should I expect with the Starter edition of Modelsim? 

According to this article at http://www.altera.com/literature/hb/external-memory/emi_debug.pdf, full calibration should take 10 minutes and Skip calibration should take 3 minutes. Since my simulation time is right around 10 minutes, I am suspecting that I am doing a full calibration for some reason. Is there a way to check if calibration is really skipped?
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

I am not seeing this or similar messages in the Modelsim transcript. My project is very basic. It contains one instance of the DDR3 IP and I am trying to do a simple write followed by a read. What performance should I expect with the Starter edition of Modelsim? 

According to this article at http://www.altera.com/literature/hb/external-memory/emi_debug.pdf, full calibration should take 10 minutes and Skip calibration should take 3 minutes. Since my simulation time is right around 10 minutes, I am suspecting that I am doing a full calibration for some reason. Is there a way to check if calibration is really skipped? 

--- Quote End ---  

Examine "calib_skip_steps" (e.g. "sim:/x_ddr3_tb/x_ddr3_inst/mem_if_ddr3_emif_0/p0/calib_skip_steps"); I believe it ought to be all 1's if you are actually skipping everything. 

In my simulation, 'local_init_done' goes high around 126us and takes maybe 2 minutes to get there, even with the project size warning I posted previously.
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi all! 

May I know where to check "calib_skip_steps" from the example link ted gave:(e.g. sim:/x_ddr3_tb/x_ddr3_inst/mem_if_ddr3_emif_0/p0/calib_skip_steps")? 

My DDR3 UniPHY design is very basic with read and write operation. I use generated example design for simulation. 

For my case, I choose skip calibration mode and also disable the EMIF On-Chip Debug Toolkit in Diagnostics tab of the UniPHY-based controller MegaWizard GUI. However, my overall simulation time take atmost 1 hour. 

By the way, I also found Transcript from ModelSim state that:  

Code: 

# ** Warning: Design size of 17487 statements exceeds ModelSim Altera Starter recommended capacity.# Expect performance to be adversely affected. 

Is this really mean that fully purchase of ModelSim Altera can solve this issue? I would like to fasten the simulation as fast as possible like urs. 

Thanks!
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi all, 

Can you tell me which device you guys are using? 

i am working on a MAX10 device and i don't see an option to skip calibration mode and to disable EMIF On-chip debug Toolkit. I am wondering this is not available for MAX10 devices. Any help on this issue is appreciated. 

Thanks