FPGA Intellectual Property
PCI Express*, Networking and Connectivity, Memory Interfaces, DSP IP, and Video IP
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
5749 Discussions

Using ALTLVDS for a TI 12-bit ADC

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

Hello, 

I am currently trying to latch data from an ADC that uses LVDS communication (AFE5801, http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/afe5801.pdf). I'm currently working with a Terasic DE0 Nano SoC.  

This is my first time working with LVDS, so I'm looking for some advice on how to start. 

I've discovered that I need to use a DDR register and serial-to-parallel shift register to accomplish this. The ALTLVDS_RX function seems to handle this for me, but I had a few questions about how to set this up: 

- The ADC has a output frame clock. Is supposed to be the input clock to the ALTLVDS_RX function? 

- What reason would you need to use the external PLL setting in the function? 

- Since the max deserialization factor setting is 10x, I understand that I need to set the function 6x instead, and load 12bit register over two clock cycles. What exactly are the timing parameters involved with this? 

Any examples of the ALTLVDS_RX function in use would be appreciated.  

Thanks
0 Kudos
0 Replies