FPGA Intellectual Property
PCI Express*, Networking and Connectivity, Memory Interfaces, DSP IP, and Video IP
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
5741 Discussions

Using multiple LPMs of same type but different characteristics

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

Hi all, 

I was trying to find a way to use the sam LPM Megafunction but with different settings. For example, the lpm_add_sub function, I would like to have both an adder and subtractor but can't figure it out. 

- Here's an example 

COMPONENT lpm_sub 

GENERIC ( lpm_direction : STRING := "ADD"; 

lpm_hint : STRING := "ONE_INPUT_IS_CONSTANT=NO,CIN_USED=NO"; 

lpm_representation : STRING := "SIGNED"; 

lpm_type : STRING := "LPM_ADD_SUB"; 

lpm_width : NATURAL := 32 

); 

PORT ( dataa : IN STD_LOGIC_VECTOR(31 DOWNTO 0); 

datab : IN STD_LOGIC_VECTOR(31 DOWNTO 0); 

result : OUT STD_LOGIC_VECTOR(31 DOWNTO 0) 

); 

END COMPONENT; 

- and then instantiate it with: 

lpm_sub_component : lpm_sub 

PORT MAP ( a, c, result_sub ); 

- I get 

Error: Node instance "lpm_sub_component" instantiates undefined entity "lpm_sub" 

So it appears the component name has to be that of the lpm function. What is the use of the LPM_TYPE characteristic then? 

Thanks
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

At some point the compiler will search for the entity "lpm_sub", which you probably haven't created as you want to invoke an existing LPM function. Hence the error. 

LPM_TYPE is to be seen as a constant rather than a parameter. LPM functions go back a long time, at some point it was an industry standard. 

You could do it like this 

library lpm ; use lpm.lpm_components.all ; - - - lpm_sub_component1 : lpm_add_sub generic map ( lpm_direction : STRING := "ADD"; . . . ) port map ( . . . ) ; lpm_sub_component2 : lpm_add_sub generic map ( lpm_direction : STRING := "SUB"; . . . ) port map ( . . . ) ;
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

That works, thanks!

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

even simpler, use behavioural VHDL: 

c <= a + b; 

f <= d - e; 

etc.
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

--- Quote Start ---  

even simpler, use behavioural VHDL: 

c <= a + b; 

f <= d - e; 

etc. 

--- Quote End ---  

yes it is a lot less typing and I do it that way almost always, but that wasn't the question ... necsup was contemplating LPM-functionality in general