FPGA Intellectual Property
PCI Express*, Networking and Connectivity, Memory Interfaces, DSP IP, and Video IP
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
5881 Discussions

[Video Sync Generator] Cannot send 24-bit RGB

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello 

I have a problem with generating data for an LCD. 

I do have the 5MP camera from terasic, and that works fine. I can see the output on my VGA screen. 

I have also a LCD screen. I want to use the [Video Sync Generator] (Pheripherals > Display) That module is created for LCD's with an Altera MAX chip. These chips works with 8 bit parallel (3 beats). But I don't have a LCD with these MAX chips, so I need the three 8-bit signals parallel, so 24 bits per clock tick. 

That is supported by that module.  

Now is the problem that I have the image resampled to 24bit (3x8), but that has to be merged together to just 24 bits, otherwise the module will not accept it. 

I have already tryed to do that with Color Plane Sequencer, but without results.  

Is there a solution? So is it possible to resample 24bit (3x8) to 24bit(1x24) ? 

Regards 

Hilco 

The Netherlands (sorry for my bad English;))
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

i'm not sure you can do this with included Qsys components, you might have to write a simple custom component

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thanks for you're reply, 

I solved the problem by using another controller, the VGA controller. There is also an option for LCD screens, and with a bit of editing the source code, it works with my screen. 

Thanks