FPGA Intellectual Property
PCI Express*, Networking and Connectivity, Memory Interfaces, DSP IP, and Video IP
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
5988 Discussions

What should be the maximum port data width of DDR3 Uniphyfor DDR3 MT41J128M16 SDRAM?

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

1) I am using DDR3 SDRAM MT41J128M16HA of micron and to control this SDRAM I am using DDR3 SDRAM controller with Uniphy in Cyclone V (5CEFA7F31C7) FPGA (Hard External memory Interface, Full rate avalon interface, and total interface width = 16 or 32)  

To test this memory I used the example design give by altera which is generated along with the IP instantiation. While generating this example design I set the Port width in "controller setting" as 32, 64, 128. So the example design work correctly for the 32 and 64 bit port width. But for 128 bit width I get only "local_init_done" and "local_cal_success" signal asserted no read write is happening in the memory.  

I) So Please let me know what could be the problem? II) What should be the maximum port width I can use for given memory?  

2) For the 32 bit port width (avalon interface width) and with the burst_length = 1, the 32 bit data is written and read-back from the memory but to write next data I have to increment the address by 4, WHY?  

3) With the same 32 bit port width (avalon interface width) when I write the data only 2 half words are written but the DDR3 SDRAM MT41J128M16HA has fixed burst length of 8 so how this data get written into the memory ? what happen to the remaining burst of the DDR3? Is controller write some garbage value at the remaining burst ?
0 Kudos
0 Replies