FPGA Intellectual Property
PCI Express*, Networking and Connectivity, Memory Interfaces, DSP IP, and Video IP
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
5983 Discussions

ddr burst ,avalon mm interface

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi , 

i would like to make sure i understand how to set the burst begin signal in full rate avalon-mm interface to the DDR controller. 

i understand that when writing 64 bits i should assert the burst begin signal for one clock cycle with the burst. 

when writing only 32 bits burst size is 1 , i don't assert the burst begin signal 

is this correct? 

thanks
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Are you creating your own master to use in SOPC Builder/Qsys? If so you don't need to worry about driving this signal. The fabric will generate the burst begin at the appropriate time for you. 

If you are using the memory controller in a stand alone fashion with an Avalon-MM local interface, you should strobe the burst begin even if you drive a burst length of 1 into the memory controller. Also the burstbegin signal does not heed waitrequest (local_ready == 0) so if the memory controller is not ready you shouldn't send another burstbegin. To learn more refer to the Avalon specification: http://www.altera.com/literature/manual/mnl_avalon_spec.pdf
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II