FPGA Intellectual Property
PCI Express*, Networking and Connectivity, Memory Interfaces, DSP IP, and Video IP
6355 Discussions

what are the various parallel port interface supported by NIOSII?

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

Can anyone tell me whether NIOSII has parallel port peripheral interface? I'm looking for the parallel port peripheral (minimum 3 ports i need). In the datasheet what i have (Quartus II Handbook Version 8.1, Volume 5: Embedded Peripherals), i could not get any information about parallel interface peripherals.. If somebody has any idea please get back to me... 

Thanks,
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Your question is a bit difficult to answer because it's slightly incorrect. A processor (such as NIOSII) does not support a parallel port interface. Processors have physical address and data buses which are used to access external memory or peripherals. A microcontroller on the other hand typically includes specific peripheral interfaces. 

The NIOS is a soft-core processor. In theory it supports any peripheral in the world. You just have to connect that peripheral to the NIOS's data bus for the peripheral to be accessible.  

Anyway now to answer your question more specifically. For parallel I/O, a lot of people typically use the PIO core peripheral. You can connect as many of these to the processor as you like (hundreds even). Then you just have to write the software on the other end to control the port(s) as you would like. 

An experienced NIOS designer could create the system you desire in a manner of minutes. So what you are trying to do is entirely possible. Here is where you should be looking to increase your understanding: 

http://www.altera.com/literature/lit-nio2.jsp 

Look under "Volume 5: Embedded Peripherals" 

Jake
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

look here as well. 

http://www.altera.com/education/training/curriculum/embedded_hw/trn-embedded_hw.html 

right side oft he page, mid to bottom. 

Any of the free ... SoPC ... classes should clear it up.
0 Kudos