FPGA, SoC, And CPLD Boards And Kits
FPGA Evaluation and Development Kits
5931 Discussions

ARM DS Unable to connect to agilex SoC HPS

caflore1
Employee

Hi,

I am trying to use ARM Development Studio 2022.0 to develop ARM Bare Metal FW in my Intel® Agilex™ F-Series FPGA Development Board (FPGA Device AGFB014R24A2E3VR0), but i am unable to access HPS using the Intel FPGA Download Cable, i get the following message when trying to debug:

"Unable to connect to agilex_test

Reason:

The target hardware identity could not be verified. Please check that the target being connected to is of type Agilex SoC"

The Agilex FPGA is configured with a very basic design which includes HPS, EMIF and one OnChip Memory, the bitstream was generated using Quartus Prime Pro 22.3 and the u-boot-spl-dtb.hex from RocketBoards.org reference designs.

By the way, i cannot see the Agilex HPS device in JTAG chain using the Quartus Programmer Tool.

Any help is very welcome.

Thanks

0 Kudos
16 Replies
aikeu
Employee

Hi caflore1,

If I understand correctly, the Quartus programmer not detecting your device using Jtag?

May I know if the USB blaster driver already has been installed?

https://www.terasic.com.tw/wiki/Intel_USB_Blaster_II_Driver_Installation_Instructions

Thanks.

Regards,

Aik Eu

0 Kudos
caflore1
Employee

Hi Aik Eu,

USB Blaster II driver is already installed, I see the FPGA device in Quartus Programmer, what I cannot see is the HPS neither with the Quartus Programmer or ARM development studio.

Regards

0 Kudos
aikeu
Employee

Hi caflore1,

Does the jtagconfig cmd works when using the cmd prompt in Windows or the terminal in Linux?

Thanks.

Regards,

Aik Eu

0 Kudos
caflore1
Employee

Hi Aik Eu,

Yes jtagconfig works, i get the following:

1) AGF FPGA Development Kit [USB-2]

0341A0DD AGFB014(F25A:R24AR0)

020D10DD VTAP10

2) USB-BlasterII [USB-1]

0318A0DD 10M04S(A:C)

Thanks,

0 Kudos
aikeu
Employee

Hi caflore1,

Can check if all the switches are set to the correct default settings following the document below?

https://www.mouser.com/datasheet/2/612/ug_agilex_fpga_devl_kit-2303048.pdf

Thanks.

Regards,

Aik Eu

0 Kudos
aikeu
Employee

Hi caflore1,

May I know any follow up from the issue?

Thanks.

Regards,

Aik Eu

0 Kudos
aikeu
Employee

Hi caflore1,

Any new follow up from the previous comment?

Thanks.

Regards,

Aik Eu

0 Kudos
caflore1
Employee

Hi Aik Eu,

Sorry I took the last week off. Regarding the switches, they are in the default setting. there is an strange behavior regarding these switches:

By default SW4 is OFF/ON/ON/OFF (Bypass FPGA HPS in JTAG chain), if I change this switch SW4 to OFF/ON/OFF/OFF (Enable FPGA HPS in JTAG chain) then JTAG chain seems broken, I get an error in Programmer tool regarding JTAG chain not working.

Thanks

0 Kudos
aikeu
Employee

Hi caflore1,

If all the SW switches has been set to the default settings, does it shows any agilex device?

May I know if you select Edit->add device in the programmer tool, is there any Agilex in the Device family?

Thanks.

Regards,

Aik Eu

0 Kudos
caflore1
Employee

Hi Aik Eu,

Yes, with all the switches set to default, i am able to see the FPGA Agilex device in the programmer tool.

Thanks

0 Kudos
aikeu
Employee

Hi caflore1,

That SW4.3 is meant for Mictor Connector for HPS JTAG.

If you are not using the mictor connector then you will need to bypass it.

Thanks.

Regards,

Aik Eu

0 Kudos
aikeu
Employee

Hi caflore1,

I will close this thread if no further question.

Thanks.

Regards,

Aik Eu

0 Kudos
caflore1
Employee

Hi Aik Eu,

Still not able to use ARM Development Studio 2022.0 to download FW to HPS, is there any reference design that i can use?

Thanks,

-Carlos

0 Kudos
aikeu
Employee

Hi caflore1,

We do not have bare metal example for agilex at the moment.

However for soc design example, you can refer to the document below to troubleshoot program flashing related issue:

https://www.rocketboards.org/foswiki/Documentation/BuildingBootloader#Agilex_45_Debugging_U_45Boot

To get the pre built files to test, you can get from the link below:

https://releases.rocketboards.org/

Thanks.

Regards,

Aik Eu

0 Kudos
aikeu
Employee

Hi caflore1,

Any new follow up from the previous comment?

Thanks.

Regards,

Aik Eu

0 Kudos
aikeu
Employee

Hi caflore1,

I am closing this thread for now. Do consider open another thread if got other new follow up question.

Thanks.

Regards,

Aik Eu

0 Kudos