FPGA, SoC, And CPLD Boards And Kits
FPGA Evaluation and Development Kits

Altera USB Blaster (usb-0)

mahi_72931
Novice

Hi all,

i have a device which used fpga cyclone v 5CEBA4U15C7, iam using quartus prime lite 19.1, my goal is to access this fpga device through a jtag connection (connections are done) and flash sof files and view how the fpga works,

The altera usb blaster iam having is altera usb blaster (not usb blaster ii, in programmer the hardware will show this device as USB-0).

This usb blaster is not recognizing my fpga, instead, it is showing 5ceba4, the exact part number is not showing, and iam not able to flash my sof files, even if i selec 5ceba4 and flash via jtag, programmer will show that it's failed,
should i get a usb blaster ii ?
in the data sheet of usb blaster (USB-0) it is shown that it supports cyclone V EPCQ-L devices,
in the data sheet of usb- blaster (USB-II) it is shown that it supports Cyclone v FPga devices,
i just wanted to confirm whether this is due to usb-0 not supporting my exact fpga board, or should i get usb-ii for accessing my exact fpga device.

Thanks in advance,

mahesh.this is how usb blaster is shown in device manager.this is how usb blaster is shown in device manager.

0 Kudos
16 Replies
FvM
Valued Contributor III

Hi,
will never show the exact FPGA type, it recognizes the FPGA only by JTAG ID which is shared between different devices.

If the programmer recognizes a FPGA, e.g. by performing autodetect, you can expect that the the driver is installed correctly and the programmer working. Generally, you can use USB Blaster and USB Blaster II for all FPGA.

Programming failure can have different reasons.

mahi_72931
Novice

Thank you for the fast reply,
so basically we can select the fpga detected from autodetect, and start the programmer ?

0 Kudos
FvM
Valued Contributor III

Hi,
I was suggesting autodetect to check FPGA connection. If you are starting the programmer in a Quartus project, the connected FPGA should match the project settings, otherwise sof download can't succeed.

If you device is correct but sof download fails though, there's probably a hardware problem. Is it a verified board design, e.g. development kit, or your own hardware?

mahi_72931
Novice

Again thanks for responding.

i started the project by selecting cyclone V 5CEBA4U15C7, but usb blaster is detecting '5CEBA4' , how to flash the generated sof file for  5CEBA4U15C7, with usb blaster only detecting 5CEBA4. Does it means a hardware problem ?.

The device iam working on is a verified board, it's our own hardware, fpga used is '5CEBA4U15C7', where jtag connections are availabe and can be accessed.

Regards.

0 Kudos
FvM
Valued Contributor III
Hi,
with which error does configuration fail? Presumed you are not trying to configure the FPGA with a .sof for a different device, it's most likely a problem of JTAG harware on your board and signal quality. You say that "JTAG connections are available and can be accessed". That's obvious in so far as Quartus programmer identifies the Cyclone V device. But how do you prove that the connection is reliable?
mahi_72931
Novice

Hi Thanks for the reply,

in programmer, i am choosing 'add file' option and selecting the generated sof file, but it is failing every time.

0 Kudos
mahi_72931
Novice

Error (209014): CONF_DONE pin failed to go high in device 1. Make sure all communication cables are securely connected, select a different device, check the power on the target system, or make sure all nCE pins are connected to GND. The Intel FPGA Knowledge Database contains many articles with specific details on how to resolve this error. Visit the Knowledge Database at https://www.altera.com/support/support-resources/knowledge-base/search.html and search for this specific error message number.

0 Kudos
mahi_72931
Novice

fyi,

nCE pins on the hardware are connected to ground.

0 Kudos
_AK6DN_
Valued Contributor I

You are not understanding what the JTAG ID represents. It is keyed to a particular FPGA DIE, and does not represent
either the package or the temperature/speed grade codes.

So the USB Blaster will detect the JTAG ID for the die '5CEBA4'. It cannot know the package type, speed grade, temperature
grade, etc, since the same DIE is used in various packages and the same DIE is characterized for speed/temperature in manufacturing.

In your case the FPGA '5CEBA4U15C7' is DIE '5CEBA4' package code 'U15' temp grade 'C' and speed grade '7'.

You would need to assign the package type, temp grade, and speed grade in the programming tool manually if you want.

Normally the programming file does not care about the those characteristics as you are programming the DIE type via the SOF file.

mahi_72931
Novice

Thank you for the reply, i didn't knew that.
in programmer i even choose the device from 'add device', it still fails.

0 Kudos
NurAiman_M_Intel
Employee

Hi,

Is there any update for this case?

Regards,

Aiman

0 Kudos
mahi_72931
Novice
0 Kudos
NurAiman_M_Intel
Employee

Hi,

• Can you attach a screenshot of the Programmer GUI which shows the progress bar and reported error?
  • Are there other devices in the same JTAG chain or just the Cyclone V?
    • If multiple devices, can you physically isolate the other devices from the chain so it is just the Cyclone V?
  • Have you try other USB Blaster?

Regards,

Aiman

0 Kudos
mahi_72931
Novice

Hi,

There is only one device in the jtag chain and i haven't checked with other usb blaster.

(note : in my case all nCE pins are grounded.)

0 Kudos
NurAiman_M_Intel
Employee

Hi,

• Is this the first time you are programming the board by using the USB Blaster?
  • If not, has it ever work before?
  • Please try to uninstall and reinstall the USB Blaster driver. Please ensure to install the driver correctly.
  • Can you also try to use other USB blaster? Or if you have USB Blaster II, you can also use that.
  • Please try to program by using another working board with current FPGA and USB blaster.

Regards,

Aiman

0 Kudos
NurAiman_M_Intel
Employee

We do not receive any response from you to the previous answer that I have provided. This thread will be transitioned to community support. If you have a new question, feel free to open a new thread to get the support from Intel experts. Otherwise, the community users will continue to help you on this thread. Thank you

0 Kudos