FPGA, SoC, And CPLD Boards And Kits
FPGA Evaluation and Development Kits
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.

BTS not detecting device

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

I am trying to run the board test system for the Arria V development kit on windows 7 and I keep getting the error message of 

Connecting to the target...java.lang.Exception: Could not find device 5AGGXFB3 

This problem could be caused by different version of Quartus. Please ensure the right Quartus version is installed. 

I have at least 3 different versions of Quartus installed but it doesn't seem to recognize any of them. I have tried uninstalling and re installing but nothing seems to work. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi deb, 

I had exactly the same issue with my newly arrived Cyclone V Dev kit. 

I was a bit confused as to whether Version 12.1.1 meant Quartus V12.1 with sp1. 

Anyway, I tried  

Kit Installation 12.1.1 with Quartus 12.1 sp1 - didn't work - similar message to yours 

Kit Installation 12.1.0 with Quartus 12.1 sp1 - total failure 

Then I followed the procedure in the quick start menu ("Step 3") to load and run the BTS from the Kit Installation 12.1.1 files. 

It all looks good now, the BTS runs. 

I think the board and software was probably all ok, it was just that I had not realised that the DEV board boots to run the portal application(D25 lit on my board),  

not the BTS application. 

The BTS needs the PGM_SEL button pressed and then PGM_Config to select and run the BTS application, D26 lit on my board. 

The Portal and BTS apps seem to be mutually exclusive. 

I havn't explored the D27 lit application, if any, yet. 

Summary ( for my Cyclone V Dev kit ) 

Kit Installation 12.1.1 with Quartus 12.1 sp1 + loading and running the BTS app from the 12.1.1 kit files as per quick start guide works. 

The loading may have been redundant. 

BTS does not run at power-up, it has to be selected by PGM_SEL and run by PGM_Config 

Cheers, Steve
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I am using the arria V starter kit and I've had similar problems. I use quartus II 13.0.1.232, the standalone programmer v 12.1 sp1 build 243 and Win 7 x64. Documents in the board test kit directory suggest that the programming files were built using v 12.1 sp1 build 243 of Quartus. 

• I restored the board to factory defaults, as described in the user guide. 

• I ran the "qreg.exe --force --jtag –-setqdir" command from the "\qprogrammer\bin" directory for the v 12.1 sp1 build 243 programmer. This was advised in http://www.altera.co.uk/support/kdb/solutions/rd01292013_416.html

• I ran "BoardTestSystem.exe" from the "\examples\board_test_system\" directory from the starter kit install location. This moaned about a missing Java directory. So I renamed and copied the jre1.6.0_07 folder from the "\examples\board_test_system\" directory to the location given in the dialog box. 

After running Quartus II 13 the "BoardTestSystem.exe" said that the wrong version of Quartus II was being used. To fix this I ran "qreg.exe --force --jtag –-setqdir" command as described above. 

On my setup the configure menu of the Board Test System GUI has the many FPGA configurations greyed out. As a work around, I closed the Board Test System GUI and then programmed the .sof files using the Quartus programmer for the particular demonstration mode that I wished to run. Once programming was complete I reset using the CPU reset button and started the Board Test System GUI. 

Hope this is of help.
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

I have another way to make it works: 

1) start quartus 12.1 sp1 (quartus environment variable is automatically updated) 

2) download manually 1 of available sof (...\examples\board_test_system\sof\) 

3) start BoardTestSystem.exe. close the program and download another .sof to test something else.