FPGA, SoC, And CPLD Boards And Kits
FPGA Evaluation and Development Kits
5929 Discussions

Bemicro kt + Open Core Plus IP question

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

On page 34 of the Bemicro embedded systems lab, after programming the fpga, it says 

-------------------------------------------------------------- 

Open Core Plus Status 

Click Cancel to stop using Open Core Plus IP 

Time remaining Unlimited 

Cancel 

-------------------------------------------------------------- 

"Just leave this up and do not press “Cancel” until you are finished using the hardware design that you just downloaded. closing this dialog will halt the nios ii cpu inside the fpga

Q1. If I clicked cancel or closed down my eclipse environment to work on it another day, do I have to repeat programming the FPGA each time? How can I unhalt the Nios II CPU without reprogramming the FPGA so I can rerun the program I previously developed?
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Yes. By closing the open core plus nag message the FPGA will timeout and will stop operating. Only reprogramming the FPGA will cause the FPGA to become functional again.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I am curious - If I bought a real license would this still be true? Do you have to reprogram the FPGA always? 

This seems counter intuitive to me. Once a part is programmed, you shouldn't have to reprogram it unless you change the design. 

Reprogramming takes additional time and reduces the life of a part (even if it's very, very small).
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

That message only appears when you use open core plus IP (without a valid license). If you use IP with the correct license then that message will not appear and the hardware will not timeout. Open core plus essentially prevents you from designing with unlicensed hardware and shipping the design, that is why you have the nag message on the screen (similar to software that comes with 30 day trial period)

0 Kudos