FPGA, SoC, And CPLD Boards And Kits
FPGA Evaluation and Development Kits
5941 Discussions

Board test system for Stratix 10 development kit

SDe_J
New Contributor I

Hello Intel Forums,

I have a stratix 10 GX devkit. I'm connecting to it using the board test system provided by Intel.

I'm looking at the power utility, and it reports that the VCC voltage is 890mV and the current is 8951mA. Is this correct? Is there really nearly 9A of current running through the VCC rail?

I have connected directly to the LTM4677 power register using an I2C master. With this, I read the voltage as 890mV, but the current is around 1.5A, which seems likely. Is there a bug in the board test system?

From the documentation on the LTM4677, the Vout is returned in ' Linear_16u' format while Iout is in 'Linear_5s_11s' format. If I use ' Linear_16u' for both Vout and Iout, I get numbers that match the board test system, but that's not the correct format claimed by the LTM4677

Thank you for your assistance.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
AqidAyman_Intel
Employee

Hi,

Thanks for reaching out Intel FPGA Community.

One question from me, is there any error message you observed when you run the power utility from the BTS?

Regards,

Aqid

0 Kudos
SDe_J
New Contributor I

Hi Aqid,

There's no error message in the BTS.

0 Kudos
AqidAyman_Intel
Employee

Hello,

Thank you for the confirmation.

I discussed with the team, and we feel like this can be a firmware issue. 9A VCC current is possible if the design fully utilized. However, we feel this is not true at least for the devkit. In that case, I have escalated this issue to get the attention from the engineering team to look on this.

Regards,

Aqid

0 Kudos
AqidAyman_Intel
Employee

Hello,

I would like to update you on this issue. I just recently got feedback from the internal team about this issue. Please find below:

The current that reported by the power utility from BTS is seems to be the correct one. The core current is provided by 3 devices, one unit of LTM4677 and two unit of LTM4650 and we could only read the Iout from LTM4677, so we need to get the result with an equation.

Refer below link for more information on the power distribution system on the Intel® Stratix® 10 GX FPGA:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/docs/programmable/683674/current/power-distribution-system.html

The BTS use Linear_5s_11s format to read Iout from LTM4677 and it is not the actual Ivcc, so we will need to use the equation to obtain the result and display it on the GUI.

I hope the information given helps you to clarify.

Regards,

Aqid

0 Kudos
AqidAyman_Intel
Employee

Since the question has been addressed, I now transition this thread to community support. If you have a new question, please login to ‘https://supporttickets.intel.com’, view details of the desire request, and post a feed/response within the next 15 days to allow me to continue to support you. After 15 days, this thread will be transitioned to community support. The community users will be able to help you on your follow-up questions.

0 Kudos