FPGA, SoC, And CPLD Boards And Kits
FPGA Evaluation and Development Kits
5925 Discussions

Cyclone II starter development kit

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi,  

I am planning to buy a cyclone II starter development kit and I have a very basic question about it as I am a newbie. 

I downloaded Quartus 7.1 from Altera's website and when I opened SOPC builder I could find Nios II processor component. But I read on the Altera website that you need to have a licence for using Nios II processor, so does this means that the Nios II processor component in the Quaruts will give me time-limited .sof files? I am a bit confused about license issue. Can anyone please explain that to me? 

Thanks, 

sony
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi Sony, 

You're right. You will be able to generate your Nios II based systems using SOPC Builder and Quartus II, but the output will be time-limited.sof unless you have a subscription license for Nios II CPU. If you have the license for Nios II CPU, then the output files (sof/pof) will not be time-limited.  

I think that Altera does not provide subscription license for Quartus II and Nios II with the starter kits, but provides web-edition only. So, you'll need to have subscription license for Nios II for generating non time-limited sof/pof files. You could use Quartus II web-edition and Nios II subscription license to be able to generate non-time-limited sof/pof files. 

Regards, 

BD
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi BD,  

thanks for your reply. I have one more question? If I buy the DE2 development kit then will I be able to get a license for Nios II processor or even then I will only be able to generate time-limited .sof files? 

- sony
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi Sony, 

I think that when DE2 is bought under university program, a Nios II license is available and can be requested by following university program registration process. Please consult your FAE for more details. The FAE will also guide you for the availability of the Nios II license with Altera Development Kits. I think that all the Nios II development Kits should contain 1 year Nios II license. 

Hope this will help. 

BD
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi BD, 

thanks a lot for your help. I finally got my questions answered :) .  

- sony
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Standard Basic stareter kits do not contain a license for NIOS II. 

The DE2 board does not either (unless you are a verified University program professor). 

I believe that the Altera NIOS Development kits do contain a licnese for NIOS II. 

I hope this helps.
0 Kudos