FPGA, SoC, And CPLD Boards And Kits
FPGA Evaluation and Development Kits
5892 Discussions

Cyclone III Starter Board - Using the DDR-SDRAM

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

I have a Cyclone III Starter Board and I already made the myfirstfpga-tutorial (http://www.alteraforum.com/forum/www.altera.com/literature/tt/tt_my_first_fpga.pdf). So I understand the basic functions of this Board and I also wrote some code in VHDL with the Buttons and the LEDs. 

Now I want to use the DDR-SDRAM, for example write some values into the Memory and read them again. (In this case I don't need communication with PC or other devices). I have found three possibilities to learn how it works: 

But none of these three is explaining it for beginners like I am. Is there maybe another document or tutorial? 

Where should I start? 

Kind regards, 

stefan__
0 Kudos
6 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Your best bet is to take the exact device partnumber and look up the datasheet on the web. Micron for example explains in great detail how their SD-RAMs work, how to operate them and so on and so on. Step 1 is to learn to understand the device. 

I did the same for the ISSI SRAM on the board (much simpeler than DDR SDRAM but the process is the same) and wrote a controller around it after I understood exactly how the SRAM works.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Your best bet is to take the exact device partnumber and look up the datasheet on the web. Micron for example explains in great detail how their SD-RAMs work, how to operate them and so on and so on. Step 1 is to learn to understand the device. 

--- Quote End ---  

The part number of my DDR-SDRAM Chip is psc a2s56d40ctp. I already found the datasheet (http://wiki.laptop.org/images/4/43/a2s56d40ctp-g5.pdf), but it was not very useful for me. 

--- Quote Start ---  

I did the same for the ISSI SRAM on the board (much simpeler than DDR SDRAM but the process is the same) and wrote a controller around it after I understood exactly how the SRAM works. 

--- Quote End ---  

It seems that writing a controller for DDR-SDRAM from scratch would be a too big project. As I don't have that much time, I decided to use the existing IP-cores from Altera. 

Yesterday, I spent some time searching in the forum and reading the ddr and ddr2 sdram high-performance controller user guide (http://www.altera.com/literature/ug/ug_ddr_ddr2_sdram_hp.pdf). When I had not really success, I took the qb3_control_panel sample project and modified it a little bit. In the attachment you can see a screenshot of the block diagram file. I don't understand where the input pins for the data, commands, adress, etc. are. It looks like a closed circuit. I thought these blocks are some kind of driver for users like me, that don't want to write a ddr-controller from scratch. But how could I use this...? Which pins should I use? 

What does this ez_cmdecoder...? 

Has anyone already worked with ddr_cntr and knows something about these pins and signals like dec_nwr, ddram_data[63..0] or dec_byen[7..0] ?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Now I have found the solution: 

Open the qb3_control_panel example project and use signaltap to find out which pin is for what. Then it becomes very easy.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi Stefan, 

I saw your post about the DDR-SDRAM of Cyclone III Starter Kit. 

I'm newbie in FPGA, and I need write/read in this memory. 

In your topic you use the QB3_control_panel example for it. 

I tried to do this, but I don't have success. 

Have the license errors when I try to compile the Qb3 example. 

Error: Can't find valid feature line for core DDR_CNTR (535C_0002) in current license 

Error (10003): Can't open encrypted VHDL or Verilog HDL file "C:/altera/TentativasMemoria/TesteBaseControlPanel/DDR_CNTR.v" -- current license file does not contain a valid license for encrypted file. 

How did you do ? 

Please, help me. 

Thanks 

Armstrong
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I did !!! 

LM_LICENSE_FILE is the answer, tih is in other topic.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

So have you done write and read DDR-SDRAM successfully? can we have more details on how to do that? 

Thank you very much! 

--- Quote Start ---  

Now I have found the solution: 

Open the qb3_control_panel example project and use signaltap to find out which pin is for what. Then it becomes very easy. 

--- Quote End ---  

0 Kudos