FPGA, SoC, And CPLD Boards And Kits
FPGA Evaluation and Development Kits
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
5283 Discussions

IO pins status before and during Cyclone V device power-up initialization

AKaga2
Beginner

I recognized that before Cyclone V FPGA device being initialized (immediately after power-up) there is some voltage on its IO pins (not Z-state that expected). How to prevent appearance of these parasitic signals that cause PCB problems?

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Rahul_S_Intel1
Employee

Hi ,

As per the cyclone V power management guidelines.

the Cyclone V device does not drive signals out before or during power up, the device does not affect the other operating buses. 

https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/programmable/us/en/pdfs/literature/hb/cyclone-v/cv_5v2.pdf

Page no: 317

And I felt like may be the below scenario could have happened

device uses GND as a reference for hot-socketing and I/O buffer circuitry designs. To ensure proper operation, connect GND between boards before connecting the power supplies. This prevents GND on your board from being pulled up inadvertently by a path to power through other components on your board. A pulled up GND could otherwise cause an out-of-specification I/O voltage or over current condition in the Altera device.