FPGA, SoC, And CPLD Boards And Kits
FPGA Evaluation and Development Kits
5892 Discussions

Is it possible to automatically boot a Cyclone V to the Application Image at power up in a Remote Update system.

JBoot1
Beginner

I have a Cyclone V system where we are using Remote Update. I have the factory image in the lower half of the flash and the application image in the upper half. I can manually trigger the FPGA to configure with the application image using the remote update registers. What I would like to do is have the FPGA automatically configure with application image at power up. Is this possible? I know with Xilinx parts it can be accomplished with a special header in the bitstream sitting at offset 0. Is there something similar for Intel parts?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
YuanLi_S_Intel
Employee

Hi John,

yes it is possible. You will need to select the page to boot during quartus design. You may refer to the user guide below for the setting and method.

https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/programmable/us/en/pdfs/literature/ug/ug_altremote.pdf (Page 21)

Thank You

0 Kudos
JBoot1
Beginner

I'm not seeing anything in the user guide about controlling the page select at initial power up. The page you reference defines the method to set the location upon triggering a re-configuration using the core very clearly, but nothing about at initial power up. If it exists, I would think that would need be some type of option in the quartus or the convert programming file window, wouldn't it? After all any initial parameter settings are unknown to the FPGA until the bitstream is read.

Thanks,

John

0 Kudos
YuanLi_S_Intel
Employee

Hi John,

Yes it is, to boot into application image instead of factory. What you need to do is to do the setting for the IP. Set the "Configuration Mode (AnF)" to 1.

Thank You.

0 Kudos