FPGA, SoC, And CPLD Boards And Kits
FPGA Evaluation and Development Kits
5966 Discussions

JTAG pin connections for MAX 10 FPGA

Sathvika
New Contributor I

I am making a design using 10M08SAE144C8G. 

Below is the schematic reference I am using .

https://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/programmable/support-resources/fpga-wiki/asset01/bemicro-max-10-schematic-a4-20141008.pdf

Here there is an embedded USB blaster design by default. But i dont want to use MAX V (CPLD) for it, instead I wasnt to use external USB blaster II. So the below is the jtag connector. 

Sathvika_0-1702010348299.png

How the connections should go to FPGA pins. and what are things we need to take care while doing the schematic in the current file(schematic link above).

Can you please name the connection in terms of FPGA net names mentioned in the schematic like below.

Sathvika_1-1702010489786.png

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
14 Replies
sstrell
Honored Contributor III

Use the legend in the Pin Planner to find the JTAG pins for your device and connect appropriately in your schematic.

0 Kudos
Sathvika
New Contributor I

Sorry, I didn't get you. What legend in the pin planner you mean?

0 Kudos
sstrell
Honored Contributor III

In the Pin Planner, choose to view the Legend from the View menu.  This explains all the symbols and colors on the pins, including highlighting the JTAG pins, so you can find the pins for your device.  You can also download pin files from the Intel web site, but I find it easier to see them directly in Pin Planner.

0 Kudos
Sathvika
New Contributor I

I am not sure, where this pin planner and legend if at. Maybe it is in different software.

I am using altium to design the board.

Below is the jtag connector header.

Sathvika_0-1702622977616.png

I am confused in connecting these JTAG J161A nd J161B pins to which pins of FPGA(10M08SAE144C8G).

Please help me with just these 10 connections of JTAG.

0 Kudos
sstrell
Honored Contributor III
In Quartus, use the Pin Planner from the Assignments menu.
0 Kudos
Sathvika
New Contributor I

Thanks for your help. I just installed quartus, but the pins I have from jtag are not matching with all the FPGA JTAG pins. Is there a way to meet over webex to discuss in 10min? It would be really helpful to close this item quickly if we do so.

0 Kudos
Sathvika
New Contributor I

From the usb blaster there are 10 pins coming out like below.

Sathvika_0-1702872975904.png

But in these 10 pins, TCK, TDO, TMS, TDI are going to FPGA according to quartus pin planner. What to do with other pins coming from USB blaster?

0 Kudos
Sathvika
New Contributor I

Can someone update for the above.

Thanks

Sathvika

0 Kudos
NurAiman_M_Intel
Employee

Hi,

Sstrell was right. And you can also refer to MAX 10 pin connection guidelines:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/docs/programmable/683232/current/configuration-jtag-pins.html

Regards,

Aiman

0 Kudos
NurAiman_M_Intel
Employee

Hi,

Have you refer to the USB blaster II userguide? It shows the connection for USB blaster ii. You can get it from below:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/products/sku/215664/intel-fpga-download-cable-ii/specifications.html

REgards,

Aiman

0 Kudos
FvM
Valued Contributor III

Hi,
pin planner shows only JTAG signal pins, GND and VCC need to be also connected. For complete wiring of programming connector,
refer to MAX10 Device Handbook.

FvM_0-1702980988222.png

Additional pins are dedicated for AS memory programming, which has no function for MAX10.

0 Kudos
Sathvika
New Contributor I

What is AS?

And it is ok if we just use 4 pins from JTAG and connect them to FPGA. And leave remaining pins unconnected?

0 Kudos
FvM
Valued Contributor III
AS is active serial flash, used e.g. with Cyclone 10.

4 JTAG pins + GND + VCC
0 Kudos
NurAiman_M_Intel
Employee

We do not receive any response from you to the previous answer that I have provided. This thread will be transitioned to community support. If you have a new question, feel free to open a new thread to get the support from Intel experts. Otherwise, the community users will continue to help you on this thread. Thank you

0 Kudos