FPGA, SoC, And CPLD Boards And Kits
FPGA Evaluation and Development Kits
5931 Discussions

Nios Dev. Kit Stratix II Edition, signal A/D conversion

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello, 

I have a problem in getting an external signal into the FPGA on the board. 

I don't know how to do that. 

As Beginner in programming an FPGA i have read the official manuals of Altera, then i worked the Quartus II and the Nios tutorials over. Those example programmes allways worked fine on the Dev. Board but now my own little stupid designs don't work. 

Now I have some questions to solve my problems. I hope anybody can reply to them. 

1) Do I always need to generate a SOPC for only little Hardware programmes like "I have a toggle button and there is a LED... and if i press the button the LED shines bright."  

2) If I don't need to generate a SOPC how do I do it then? 

I have generated a .bdf and placed two inputes on it. Between them I made a modul (Verilog) which contained the logic (same functionality i explained in No. 1). I connected the Inputs with the modul and started the "Analysis & Synthesis". Further I opend the PIN-Planner and allocated the FPGA PIN's PIN_P4 (SW0) and PIN_W15 (LED0) to the input and output of the .bdf. I compiled the design and tried to upload it into the FPGA. For uploading I used the USB Blaster. The Programmer said that the upload was successful, but the Board ERROR LED began to shine and nothing was uploaded.  

3) My wish is to read the serial signal of an external CCD Camera Modul into the FPGA. But I don't know how to address a single PIN, how to read it into the FPGA. Do anybody know a manual or example or Verilog-Code? Is there a step-to-step manual for dummies which i can read? If somebody can help me I would be very glad.  

I am not good in speaking or writing english, therefore sorry for all mistakes you've read. 

Kind regards,  

Halloween207
0 Kudos
6 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello, 

forget the problems I had above and sorry for my stupidity. :rolleyes:  

I solved them all.  

Now, perhaps someone can tell me how I should connect the CCD Camera Modul to the Board without destroying it. Can I handle it with only connecting the wire to a pin? 

Greets, 

Halloween207
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I think the answer of the question is... 

that I have to set the PIN, I want to connect to the external camera wire,... 

to the option "differential signal". If I understood the manual right...  

the Software will perform any other configurations automatically. 

Okay.  

Now I don't know what I should do with the signal I will read into the FPGA. 

The signal is the output of a CCD Camera Modul. 

The manufacturer told me that the output ist "Composite Video" (like NTSC).  

Composite Video is an analog signal. So I have to digitalize it. Mhm... 

The problem is that I don't know how to do it.  

If someone can give me an advice or can tell me where I can find further information I would be very happy. 

Greets... 

Halloween207
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Hello, 

I have a problem in getting an external signal into the FPGA on the board. 

I don't know how to do that. 

As Beginner in programming an FPGA i have read the official manuals of Altera, then i worked the Quartus II and the Nios tutorials over. Those example programmes allways worked fine on the Dev. Board but now my own little stupid designs don't work. 

Now I have some questions to solve my problems. I hope anybody can reply to them. 

1) Do I always need to generate a SOPC for only little Hardware programmes like "I have a toggle button and there is a LED... and if i press the button the LED shines bright."  

2) If I don't need to generate a SOPC how do I do it then? 

I have generated a .bdf and placed two inputes on it. Between them I made a modul (Verilog) which contained the logic (same functionality i explained in No. 1). I connected the Inputs with the modul and started the "Analysis & Synthesis". Further I opend the PIN-Planner and allocated the FPGA PIN's PIN_P4 (SW0) and PIN_W15 (LED0) to the input and output of the .bdf. I compiled the design and tried to upload it into the FPGA. For uploading I used the USB Blaster. The Programmer said that the upload was successful, but the Board ERROR LED began to shine and nothing was uploaded.  

3) My wish is to read the serial signal of an external CCD Camera Modul into the FPGA. But I don't know how to address a single PIN, how to read it into the FPGA. Do anybody know a manual or example or Verilog-Code? Is there a step-to-step manual for dummies which i can read? If somebody can help me I would be very glad.  

I am not good in speaking or writing english, therefore sorry for all mistakes you've read. 

Kind regards,  

Halloween207 

--- Quote End ---  

Halloween? 

The best way to start is to start with the 'small' reference design that came with the kit. 

Once you build and practice the download, then add your function. 

The main reason is that you will need to have ALL of the NiosII Kits devices 'pinned-out' so they wont cause you issues. 

Check out the manual for the pin-out of the Expansion Connectors for use by your function. If you want to use something connected to the SOPC block, simply move it to your block and tie off the input (if it is an input). 

After you get used to this, you will have all of the knowledge needed to fly on your own. 

I hope this helps. 

Mike
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello mikehsr, 

thank you for your help. 

I will follow your instructions above. 

Greets... 

Halloween207
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Next question ;) 

Now I have an analog video signal (NTSC, b/w). 

is it easier to digitize it with an external device? 

On the board there is no A/D-Converter and also there is no free IP for digitizing. 

do anybody know a place were i can find free vhdl, verilog, ahdl scripts regarding adc? 

Greets... 

Tom
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Next question ;) 

Now I have an analog video signal (NTSC, b/w). 

is it easier to digitize it with an external device? 

On the board there is no A/D-Converter and also there is no free IP for digitizing. 

do anybody know a place were i can find free vhdl, verilog, ahdl scripts regarding adc? 

Greets... 

Tom 

--- Quote End ---  

Tom, 

Check-out http://www.opencores.org 

Mike
0 Kudos