FPGA, SoC, And CPLD Boards And Kits
FPGA Evaluation and Development Kits
5979 Discussions

Quartus Programmer Crashes when Loading .jic File

ricj
Novice

This question is related to booting a Cyclone IV FPGA from flash memory.

Previously, I used the S25FL064P device and would generate a .jic file using the ECPS64 preset and was able to successfully program the flash and boot from it.

I am now migrating over to the S25FL064L device and my old .jic file is no longer capable of programming the new flash.

ricj_0-1715273602106.png

Infineon has a set of steps available that I can follow for creating a new preset that targets their flash devices when generating a .jic file.

However, the .jic file that is generated after following those steps causes the Quartus programmer to crash as soon as I add the .jic file.

ricj_1-1715273808845.png

My main goal is to program this new flash. Does anyone know if there is a work-around for the crash described above? Or if Intel has their own set of steps for setting up (non ECPS) serial flash configuration devices?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
ricj
Novice

Problem solved.

The .jic file was generated in Linux (Quartus Prime v20.1.1 Build 720 11/11/2020 SJ Standard Edition).
I was trying to use that .jic file in Windows (Quartus Prime v20.1.1 Build 720 11/11/2020 SJ Standard Edition).

I tried generating the .jic in Windows (instead of Linux) and saw that the programmer tool no longer crashes when I add the file.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
NurAiman_M_Intel
Employee

Hi,

You need to create .jic file using S25FL064L .But you need to define new flash device (S25FL064L ). Follow steps in the userguide below(page12) to define new flash and then create the .jic file.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/docs/programmable/683491/18-1/generic-flash-programmer-user-guide-49399.html

Regards,

Aiman

ricj
Novice

Problem solved.

The .jic file was generated in Linux (Quartus Prime v20.1.1 Build 720 11/11/2020 SJ Standard Edition).
I was trying to use that .jic file in Windows (Quartus Prime v20.1.1 Build 720 11/11/2020 SJ Standard Edition).

I tried generating the .jic in Windows (instead of Linux) and saw that the programmer tool no longer crashes when I add the file.

0 Kudos
NurAiman_M_Intel
Employee

Hi,

Thanks for sharing your findings with us. We have inform our engineering team for regarding this case.

Since you can now proceed with your design, I will proceed to close this case. Feel free to open a new thread if you have any queries.

Regards,

Aiman

0 Kudos