FPGA, SoC, And CPLD Boards And Kits
FPGA Evaluation and Development Kits
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
5156 Discussions

TerASIC DE2-115 GPIO Port question

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Am using the DE2_115_web_server application as a baseline... 

Am attempting to use a pin (well more than 1, but for discussion's sake we only need to talk about 1) on the GPIO connector as an input to a customer Verilog module. To make the name descriptive to my particular solution, I wanted to rename it from GPIOx to TDR_ROMEN. 

Using Quartus Assignment editor, I deleted all of the GPIO references and created the TDR_ROMEN reference. In Pin Planner, I define it as an input on Pin AH_22 (Am using JP5, Pin 33; Used to be GPIO[28]) 

Next, I created my custom component with an export input tdr_romen. It also contains a Avalon MM Slave. I have instantiated the component in SOPC builder and have validated that I can read/write to registers within the component. The instantiation is called, "statement_coverage_0". If I look at the verilog file for the instantiation, it contains the statement, .tdr_romen (tdr_romen). If I look at the instantiation of the SOPC Builder file, I see the assignment, .tdr_romen_to_the_statement_coverage_0 (tdr_romen_to_the_statement_coverage_0), 

Finally, in the top-level DE_115_web_server.v file where the instance of DE2_115_SOPC is instantiated, I added, 

.tdr_romen_to_the_statement_coverage_0(TDR_ROMEN) 

Am relatively new to FPGA work and so I attempted to trace the flow using the key.v file. My understanding is that TDR_ROMEN references pin AH_22. The value of this pin is passed through the top level file to the instance of DE2_115_SOPC and to the tdr_romen input of my module. In that module, I simply set a register to 0 or 1 based on the value of tdr_romen (done synchronously in an always loop). Pin AH_22 is a hard logic high or low (i.e., it only transitions when I tell it to). 

My issue is that I am not seeing a change in the register. I would appreciate if someone could confirm (or rebut) my thought process above. 

THanks, in advance, 

ME
0 Kudos
1 Reply
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

btw, 

in the dew_115_web_server.v file, I added TDR_ROMEN to the module declaration and: 

input TDR_ROMEN; 

to define the port type.