FPGA, SoC, And CPLD Boards And Kits
FPGA Evaluation and Development Kits
5943 Discussions

Using the development kit license for a network

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

We have just bought a new Altera DSP development kit. The kit is Startix III edition. I did not request the license yet. I have one question about the license. We are working in a lab that has a Server connected to all PCs through ethernet. When I began the license request process, I entered the serial number of the kit. Then I was required to enter the NIC number. My question is : for this type of license, can I write the physical address of the Server's NIC card and use the software (Quartus II) from another PC connected to the server. Or , for this development kit's license, I am allowed to use only one PC in the lab and hence I should write the NIC address of one PC not of the Server? 

Regards,
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

This depends on how you connect to the server, and what OS the server is running. If you are trying to use Windows and RDP (remote desktop), it won't work. The license server detects the connection type, and kicks you out. I understand why, but this was particularly aggravating at one job. 

However, if you use VNC, it works just fine. (though you are still limited to only running the licensed number of instances) The downside, of course, is that VNC on Windows is painful. 

Alternately, if you are running the Linux version, you can just create make scripts and run the tools from a telnet/ssh session. Again, licensing restrictions will limit how many instances you can run at once, but you can launch the tools remotely.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I am not sure you can license the kit version of the tools as a floating license.

0 Kudos