FPGA, SoC, And CPLD Boards And Kits
FPGA Evaluation and Development Kits
6136 Discussions

Verilog Code for Setting up Clock on FPGA with Differential Clocks

NewUser1234
Beginner

I am only familiar with using FPGAs that have a single source clock.

but I am working with an Agilex 7 Family development board.

The Agilex 7 dev board has differential clocks.

I just want to do something super simple like use the clock to blink an LED. 

Can someone provide a Verilog code that shows how you do this when you are given differential clocks like in my Agilex 7 board?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
TomCarpenter
New Contributor I

You can use the differential clock in exactly the same way as a single ended clock - i.e. having an input wire in your top level (e.g. called `clock` or whatever name you wish). You only need an input wire for the positive (_p) pin of the differential pair.

In the pin planner (or assignement editor), assign this input to the pin that your differential clock connects to, specifically the "_p" pin of the differential pair, and select an appropriate differential IO standard and termination (e.g. on the Agilex, "True Differential Signaling" if that is correct for the signal on your board).

Quartus will automatically insert a differential IO buffer for you and connect it to both the _p pin you explicitly specified and the corresponding _n input pin of the differential pair which it will infer.

0 Kudos
HubertG
Employee

We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience caused by the delay in addressing your Forum queries. Due to an unexpected back-end issue in our system, your Forum case, did not reach us as intended. As a result, we have a backlog of cases that we are currently working through.

Please be assured that we are doing everything we can to resolve this as quickly as possible. This will take some time, and we appreciate your patience and understanding during this period of time. Your case will be attended by AE soonest possible.

Thank you again for your patience and understanding, and we are committed to provide you with the best possible support.

0 Kudos