Quartus II give the option to generate programming files for multiple situations. The types of configuration set-ups fall into the following categories
Active Serial with Nios II and remote update
Active Serial without Nios II but with remote update
Fast Passive Parallel
Available programming files
- Raw Binary File used for programming devices where PS or FPP mode is used, using a non-Altera programmer. This file is the size of the FPGA configuration data
- Programmer Object File. This is a binary file used to program a flash device using Quartus II programmer. This file is always the size of the entire device that has been selected
- Raw Programming Data. This file is generated from a POF file and may be used to program an EPCS/EPCQ configuration device using an external programmer
- Motorola S-record generated by Nios II sof2flash program. This file is similar to the rpd file but there are two differences: 1) The file is the size of the configuration data and not the configuration device 2) Each byte is bitswapped for compatibility with the EPCS controller available in QSys
- Intel hex record for use with PS and FPP, for the same application as the rbf
- JTAG Indirect Configuration file. Used with Quartus II and the Serial Flash Loader to program EPCS/EPCQ devices via JTAG
Svf / jam
Serial Vector Format / Altera STAPL. Industry standard file formats for issuing JTAG commands.
Which file to use?
Fast Passive Parallel / Passive Serial
- Where the PFL is not being used, either the rbf or the hexout file should be used depending on the customer’s preference. - If the PFL is used with the Quartus II programmer, a POF file should be generated. More details in the PFL user guide: http://www.altera.com/literature/ug/ug_pfl.pdf
Active Serial without remote update
- Use a .jic file to program the EPCS/EPCQ device when the programming cable is connected to the FPGA JTAG using Quatus II programmer - Use a .svf or .jam file generated from the .jic file to program the EPCS/EPCQ via the FPGA JTAG using a 3rd party tool - Use a .pof file to program the EPCS/EPCQ device when the programming cable is connected in Active Serial mode to the EPCS/EPCQ device - Use the .rpd file to program the EPCS/EPCQ device using a 3rd party tool.
Active Serial with remote update and Nios II
- Use sof2flash to generate a .flash file and use nios2-flash-programmer or customer code to program the device through Nios II