GPU Compute Software
Ask questions about Intel® Graphics Compute software technologies, such as OpenCL* GPU driver and oneAPI Level Zero
199 Discussions

Upgrading my CPU from i7 6700k GPU530 to i7 7700 with the same GPU530, can it be done

Rob899
Beginner

I am trying to make my old HPEnvy34 a150  All in One with Wistron motherboard with H170 chipset and Intel HD Graphics GPU 530 by installing an i7 7700 cpu.  Is it possible for the i7 7700 to work with the GPU 530

0 Kudos
1 Solution
n_scott_pearson
Super User

First of all, the graphics engine is *in* the processor, so you would be replacing it with an equal or better engine as you upgrade the processor.

That said, it is unclear to me whether you could actually perform this upgrade. The H170 chipset is listed as possibly supporting 7th gen processors, but the design and capabilities of the motherboard - including power and thermal handling as well as BIOS support - will ultimately determine whether this is possible. [Aside: i7-7700 is a 90W processor while your i7-6700T is a 35W processor, which doesn't bode well for power or thermal handling. Perhaps you should be looking at a i7-7700T instead.] Regardless, we can only speculate; you really need to consult HP as to whether any 7th gen processors are supported by their motherboard and its BIOS.

Hope this helps,

...S

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
n_scott_pearson
Super User

First of all, the graphics engine is *in* the processor, so you would be replacing it with an equal or better engine as you upgrade the processor.

That said, it is unclear to me whether you could actually perform this upgrade. The H170 chipset is listed as possibly supporting 7th gen processors, but the design and capabilities of the motherboard - including power and thermal handling as well as BIOS support - will ultimately determine whether this is possible. [Aside: i7-7700 is a 90W processor while your i7-6700T is a 35W processor, which doesn't bode well for power or thermal handling. Perhaps you should be looking at a i7-7700T instead.] Regardless, we can only speculate; you really need to consult HP as to whether any 7th gen processors are supported by their motherboard and its BIOS.

Hope this helps,

...S

0 Kudos