GPU Compute Software
Ask questions about Intel® Graphics Compute software technologies, such as OpenCL* GPU driver and oneAPI Level Zero
174 Discussions

ZeModuleCreate information request

Mitsuboh
Novice

I have a Sycl lambda function which takes much memory on host side (more than 500MB) just after that is submitted to GPU, and also took a few 10 seconds before run into its forall loop. By checking the program using Vtune, I found the zeModuleCreate is doing something during the period. Is there anyway to find out what kind of objects it is creating?   

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Dunni_A_Intel

Hello,

zeModuleCreate creates a module either by Just-in-time (JIT) compiling intermediate language code or loading native binary that was compiled ahead of time (AOT). If you are concerned about JIT compilation time, you can try options for AOT compilation. You may see here for how to do AOT compilation. If your concern is strictly benchmarking kernel performance, you can try including a warm-up phase since the JIT compilation time would only impact the first kernel invocation. Then you may time subsequent calls to the kernel and that will exclude JIT compilation time.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Mitsuboh
Novice

Hello,

Thank you for the reply. My program uses pseudo double precision math on device side. It seems host(ZeModuleCreating) is creating some large data structure on the host side before submit kernel to device. When I see it runs, usage of host memory start increaing up to a few hundred mega bytes (it take 20 -30 seconds for it) then start running kernel quickly. I wanted to know what is causing this behaviour. Any way to find out?

0 Kudos