Gaming on Intel® Processors with Intel® Graphics
Ask questions and get answers, tips/tweaks, and techniques from product and technology experts

13700k crazy temp spikes

Starkgr
Beginner
Hi, I bought a new Pc 3 weeks ago. The specs are: 13700k, 7900 xt, ASRock B760 Pro RS, Kingston fury ddr5 x 32gb. My first air cooler was be quite and I was getting most spikes then. I changed a few settings in bios and somehow the temps decreased a bit. Then I bought artic liquid freezer 2 240. Temps were much better but the spikes still occur. In the first video you can see the temps with the air cooler and in the second one is the new water cooler. Is this normal or the cpu is defected ? I get no lag no blue screens etc. any help would be more than appreciated.
0 Kudos
9 Replies
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello Starkgr,

Thank you for posting on the Intel️® communities. We understand that you are experiencing temperature spikes when playing games.

Having temperature spikes while running a workload—such as games—isn't necessarily cause for concern. Intel processors constantly monitor their temperature and can rapidly adjust their frequency and power consumption to prevent overheating and damage.

Based on the product specifications, your Intel® Core™ i7-13700K Processor supports up to 100°C, and any temperature below or equal to it is considered expected.

To rule out any possible hardware problem with the Intel processor, install and run the Intel Processor Diagnostic Tool. It tests the unit, and if it passes the test, it means it is working properly.

As well, if you download and run the Intel® Extreme Tuning Utility (Intel® XTU), it will display the processor's statistics, and you can rule out any possible hardware problem with the Intel processor.

Best regards,

Jean O. 

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
Starkgr
Beginner
The cpu stress test showed power throttle and thermal throttle. Cpu stress test pass
0 Kudos
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello Starkgr,

Thanks for your response. We apologize for the delayed response. We appreciate your patience.

It is essential to mention that if the processor passes the stress test, it may indicate that the processor is functioning correctly since the stress test puts the CPU through an intense artificial workload, which is more workload that under normal use. However, we would like to request you share a screenshot of both the power throttle and the thermal throttle error messages you mentioned.

Best regards,

Jean O.

0 Kudos
Starkgr
Beginner
0 Kudos
Starkgr
Beginner
Also when I turn off turbo boost from bios temps drop about 30 degrees. Does it have to do with my motherboard? Or the cpu is defected?
0 Kudos
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello Starkgr,

Thank you for your response. Once again we are sorry for our delayed response, we are having some issues with some threads not reporting the latest posts.

Regarding your issue, since the XTU reports that the CPU has thermal throttle, you can try the following:

• Check that any protective layer over the CPU heatsink thermal interface material (TIM) was removed.
  • Verify proper installation of the processor thermal solution. Ensure all anchors are uniformly fastened. Make sure the thermal solution is not bumping into any other components on the motherboard.
  • Inspect for CPU heatsink thermal interface material (TIM) degradation.
  • Since you are using a CPU liquid cooling, check for pump failure, visible leaks, or fluid loss.
  • To rule out the possibility that the issue is being caused by the motherboard bios, you can try:
    •  Loading the default BIOS setting in your system.
    • Make sure you are running the latest BIOS version available for your motherboard, based on the ASRock website, the latest version available is BIOS 3.01. If you need any recommendations about the BIOS update process, you should contact ASRock support.

Best regards,

Jean O.

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello Starkgr,

We hope you are doing fine.

Were you able to check the previous post?

Let us know if you still need assistance.

Best regards, 

Jean O.  

0 Kudos
Starkgr
Beginner
Hi yes. The problem was the ASRock motherboard. It could not handle the 13700 k properly. I bought an msi z790A and everything is working fine now. To anyone who has the same problem, STAY AWAY from ASRock b760.
0 Kudos
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello Starkgr,

We are glad to know that you found a solution, thank you for taking the time to share this fix, and hopefully, it may help other community members experiencing similar behavior. Since the thread is now solved, we will proceed to close it. Please keep in mind that this thread will no longer be monitored by Intel.

Best regards, 

Jean O.  

0 Kudos