Gaming on Intel® Processors with Intel® Graphics
Ask questions and get answers, tips/tweaks, and techniques from product and technology experts
467 Discussions

New card - horizontal red lines all over the screen - hardware failure?

maijasla
Beginner

I suspect this is a hardware failure but I want to make sure before returning it. The card is GTX 760 direct CU II. It worked for a few hours with no problems and temperature reading around 40C. I first installed the drivers and tweak utility from the disc that came with the card. I then ran the 'live updates' in the tweak tool, and I'm wondering now if that could have broken the BIOS? The red lines appeared later though, while I wasn't doing anything with the GPU. The screen kept turning off briefly and then coming back on. Eventually it stayed black until I reset the power. Then it booted into a lower resolution and the black screens stopped but the red lines remain. Some more details:

The lines appear on the loading and bios screens before Windows attempts to boot.

After this started, I can no longer get the GPU tweak tool to run at all.

I uninstalled all the drivers and tweak tool and reinstalled using the latest versions from the site, no effect.

If I click the Nvidia control panel on the toolbar now, I get an error that says "You are not curently using a display attached to an NVIDIA GPU"

I'm using the DVI-I output with a DVI-to-VGA adapter and VGA monitor.

Switching to the integrated graphics shows no red lines.

So my question is, is there any way this isn't a hardware failure requiring replacement?

0 Kudos
1 Reply
AlfredoS_Intel

Hi Maijasla,

Thank you for posting in the Intel Communities.

After reading your post, we assume that you might be seeking opinions from us and other users regarding the issue you are experiencing. Although I can provide an opinion and some suggestions for you to try, it would be best to direct your inquiry or concern directly to the video card manufacturer.

With that said, here is our perspective on your concern:

Getting graphical artifacts on BIOS usually indicates a hardware issue. For this reason, try the following:

a. Check the video card manufacturer’s website for firmware updates.

b. Try different cables and displays, as some monitors or cables may have compatibility issues with the hardware.

c. Test the card in a different PCI-E port if your motherboard has one.

d. Update your BIOS and reset it to defaults.

e. Enable CSM.

f. Change the PCI-E port speed.

g. Try disabling Rebar.

h. Ensure that your power supply is adequate for the card.

If the issue persists after trying the suggestions above, you can test the card on a different PC to determine if the problem is with your computer.

Should the issue remain the same even on other computers, please reach out to Nvidia for additional suggestions.

We hope you understand our position on this matter.

Best regards,

Alfred S

Intel® Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos