Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20598 Discussions

2560x1080 for LG 34" UltraWide over HDMI unavailable on Intel UHD Graphics for Core i3-1005G1 CPU

VHugh
Novice

I've got a new Dell Inspiron 3593 running Windows 10 (Build 19013.1122) on a Core i3-1005G1 CPU and running the latest Intel UHD driver (26.20.100.7463 from 11/6/2019) and cannot get a higher resolution on my LG 34" UltraWide monitor (using HDMI 1.4b; there is no DP) than 1920x1080. (Yes, I've got it's latest drivers installed.) Its recommended (and native) resolution is 2560x1080. According to ark.intel.com, the maximum supported resolution for a Core i3-1005G1 CPU over HDMI 1.4 should be 4096 x 2304. I've got the latest Intel Graphics Command Center installed, but even trying the custom resolution feature there fails to work. (can add it to the list, but doesn't do any thing when you switch to it; and doesn't show up in the list of resolutions Windows recognizes in its own Display settings dialog) I know it isn't a problem with the HDMI cable or the monitor itself, because my previous (much older Intel Core i3 6th gen) Dell desktop did just fine driving the same monitor at 2560x1080.

I spent two hours on the phone with multiple levels of Dell support, and they couldn't see any reason at all why it wouldn't be working. The LG support folks are baffled. I've tried both the latest Intel UHD Graphics driver (26.20.100.7463 from 11/6/2019) and also the version Dell has on their web site as the "latest." (25.20.100.7060 from 10/21/2019)

What am I missing? Is the Intel UHD driver support just not there yet for 10th Generation Core i3? Is something buggy? Or am I just missing something important?

0 Kudos
50 Replies
VHugh
Novice

Good catch. Looks like this BIOS update just came out two days ago. I have applied that BIOS update now. It did not resolve the problem.

I tried it before with the latest Intel Iris Plus/UHD Graphics Driver published by Dell for this laptop and could not get it to work. That was when I tried it with the newer Intel-published driver, since it does not appear to be customized by Dell. I have now reverted the driver again to the latest one from Dell. It does not resolve the problem.

The monitor firmware has been up to date. There have been no additional updates since I posted this.

I do not have any other monitors with the same resolution (2560x1080) that I can test with. I do have a 4K monitor that I tested with. I plugged it in and can't get any higher resolution than the same 1920x1080.

Yes, it is straight HDMI to HDMI--no adapters or anything else. Single male-male HDMI cable.

The other Dell laptop I used that can get the 2560x1080 resolution is a Dell Precision 7520 running a Core i7-6820HQ. Even though it has dual Intel/Nvidia graphics, when I plug in higher resolution monitors like my 4K monitor or the LG Ultrawide here, it says those displays are "connected to Intel® HD Graphics 530".

0 Kudos
AdrianM_Intel
Employee

Hello VHugh,

Thank you for your response.

Can you please try the following?

• Open device manager, go to monitors, expand the option, then take a screenshot.
  • This is in order to check how the OS is detecting the LG ultrawide monitor if Generic PnP monitor or if it shows the model.
  • Please take screenshots if possible of both computers in the device manager the Dell Precision 7520 that gets the resolution (2560x1080) and the Dell Inspiron 3593. (Attach the screenshots to the thread).
  • In case on your Dell Inspiron 3593 you see Generic PnP Monitor in the device manager (monitor tab), you might need to install a TV driver on your computer, not sure if your TV came with a CD but you can get the driver from the following link: https://www.lg.com/us/support/product/lg-34UM61-P.AUS
  • Check the Windows options by pressing Windows key + P try to use the different settings (duplicate, extended, clone) then change the resolutions.

Regards,

Adrian M.

Intel Customer Support Technician

A Contingent Worker at Intel

0 Kudos
VHugh
Novice

The Inspiron is using the monitor driver as I mentioned before. It is not using the Generic PnP Monitor driver. Screenshot attached. (It shows both the built-in laptop screen as well as the external LG Ultrawide monitor.) I am using Windows with the displays set to "Second screen only", which means it does not limit the external display to the resolution of the built-in laptop monitor. Normally, setting it to "Extend" should allow the external monitor to use its full resolution, too, but it is not doing so here yet.

When the Precision is plugged into the LG Ultrawide, it is able to do the full resolution (2560x1080) using just the Generic PnP Monitor via the Intel graphics adapter. Screenshot attached, again using Windows set to "Second screen" only. Changing to "Extend" also works.

0 Kudos
VHugh
Novice
0 Kudos
AdrianM_Intel
Employee

Hello VHugh,

Thank you for all the information.

Try to uninstall the driver from the Ultrawide monitor and test if you can set up the resolution without the monitor driver on your laptop.

Is it possible for you to set up this resolution 2560x1080 without Intel graphics drivers on your Dell Inspiron 3593? (Using only Microsoft display adapter). 

Uninstall the drivers at all until you see Microsoft display adapter on device manager (Steps):

•  Disconnect the computer from internet.
  • Open the device manager. 
  • Click on display adapters.
  • Click on Intel® UHD Graphics 
  • Select the tab that says Driver. 
  • Click uninstall driver, once you do that the computer will ask to be restarted so go ahead and do it. 
  • When the computer boots again go to device manager follow the step 3,4,5,6 then check if there is an older version installed on the computer if there is any other version follow the same steps until you see Microsoft display adapter.
  • Check if you can set up the resolution on Windows (display settings) by using Microsoft display adapter.

Please let me know the outcome!

Adrian M.

0 Kudos
VHugh
Novice

Okay. I have tried both and had no success in getting the full resolution of the monitor with either of the two.

After trying the first (uninstalling the monitor driver and using the generic monitor driver), there was no change in available resolutions.

After trying the second (uninstalling all Intel display drivers and using the "Microsoft Basic Display Adapter"), not only was the higher resolution still not available, but *no* resolution was available other than the resolution for the built-in laptop display: 1920x1080. The Basic Display Adapter does not support an external monitor--it just duplicates whatever is on the built-in display.

0 Kudos
AdrianM_Intel
Employee

Hello VHugh,

Thank you for the update.

We are still working on this case, please allow me some time to update the thread.

Regards,

Adrian M.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

I can't find anywhere where you mention it, but did LG provide you with a configuration file for the monitor that includes the higher configuration entry(s)?

...S

0 Kudos
VHugh
Novice

Yes, they did. It includes configuration entries for 2560x1080.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

And it *still* didn't show up in the list?

Have you tried using a USB-C-to-HDMI adapter to try and connect it via the USB-C port?

0 Kudos
VHugh
Novice

No, the laptop does not have a USB-C adapter. Nor does it have a DP or Mini DP, so those are not options to try either.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Wait a minute. Do you have the laptop version with only Intel UHD Graphics or does it also have NVIDIA/AMD HD graphics?

0 Kudos
VHugh
Novice

It does not have dual graphics adapters. It only has the Intel UHD graphics as specified in the opening post.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

What's the full model number?

0 Kudos
VHugh
Novice

As I mentioned in the opening post: Dell Inspiron 3593.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Ok, I guess they only include it if there is other graphics present. Not very helpful - and a poor design if you ask me.

Well, I am out of ideas. You really need to be having Dell look at this. If they tell you to come back here again, tell them no way. You paid them to provide you with support; make them do so. They have paths for escalating issues into Intel that will get far higher priority than you get coming here. This is *their* issue to investigate.

...S

0 Kudos
AdrianM_Intel
Employee

Hello All,

I would like to update the thread.

Your Dell Inspiron 3593 has Windows 10 Build 19013- Insider so you can experience some issues like this one reported since this is a Windows insider version.

As indicated in our download center DCH drivers support the following operating system: (https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/29195/Intel-Graphics-Windows-10-DCH-Drivers?product=98909)

Supported OS versions are: Microsoft Windows® 10-64 - Fall Creators Update (1709)(RS3)

Microsoft Windows 10-64 - April 2018 Update (1803)(RS4)

Microsoft Windows 10-64 - October 2018 Update (1809)(RS5)

Microsoft Windows 10-64 – May 2019 Update (1903)(19H1)

Microsoft Windows 10-64 – November 2019 Update (1909)(19H2)

We recommend you to: 

• Test the system with supported OS.
  • Report the issue directly to MS insider.

Regards,

Adrian M.

0 Kudos
AdrianM_Intel
Employee

Hello VHugh,

Were you able to check the previous post? 

Let me know if you need more assistance. 

Regards,

Adrian M.

0 Kudos
AdrianM_Intel
Employee

Hello VHugh,

Were you able to report the issue directly to MS insider or test the system with a supported OS?

Regards,

Adrian M.

0 Kudos
VHugh
Novice

Yes, Microsoft Insider is clear that there should be no issue with it. It is on the slow ring and is only slightly newer than the specific versions you listed. They insist that it is an Intel driver issue. I have no simple way to simply boot into some other version of an operating system on a whim.

To boot, the changes you had me make earlier (removing even the most basic drivers) have now disabled things in Windows so it no longer will even allow me to configure settings for an external display. So I can't even try different drivers if Dell or Intel were to fix the Intel graphics driver bug here.

When I contacted Dell, they insist that there should be no problem and would like me to pay additional money for them to investigate it. When I contacted Costco's concierge desk, they spent hours and hours trying to work the issue among Dell and Microsoft but wound up at a dead end.

Once again, it seem that when I buy an Intel-based system, every party involved seems to have good reasons why it couldn't be them. Not Dell, not LG, not Microsoft, and not Intel. And as a customer I am left with an unworking, brand new system even though it is supposed to be the latest Intel CPU and GPU (10th generation!) with even greater capabilities than the Dell Core i3 desktop that was a couple of generations older and worked fine driving the full resolution with the same monitor and cable with its old Intel GPU. (Yes, even running Insider slow ring builds.)

This is really disappointing.

0 Kudos
skuid
Beginner

I have nearly the same set up and after doing some more searching, found this:

https://www.dell.com/support/kbdoc/en-us/000126548/resolution-on-external-monitor-limited-to-1920-x-1080-using-hdmi

I guess I'll be returning my display to Costco.

0 Kudos