Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20598 Discussions

3 displays on system with i7-4770 with Asus Z87-Deluxe mobo

SVick
Novice

I have a brand new system built with an ASUS z87-deluxe motherboard and an intel i7-4770 cpu. I can only get 2 of my displays to work simultaneously although the computer recognizes 3 displays. I know that on older systems and processors 2 displays, but one of the reasons I built this config, was specifically because it is supposed to support 3 displays. Doc on the i7-4770 chip says that it does, and the info on the ASUS website indicates that it should as well... HOWEVER, I still can't get it to work.

Is there a setting I need to tweak? Any help would be appreciated.

- Stan.plays

0 Kudos
1 Solution
SVick
Novice

FYI for folks who want to do this in the future. I have this working with the following configuration:

1 - mobo hdmi out to hdmi monitor input

2 - mobo mini display port to ACTIVE mini display port to hdmi adapter then hdmi monitor

3 - mobo display port to ACTIVE display Port to hdmi adapter then hdmi monitor

They key basically is the ACTIVE adapters... passive did not work.

Not much good doc on this and Intel and ASUS support were really not helpful...

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Kevin_M_Intel
Employee

Hello Satn,

Please note that there is a specific configuration that is required to comply in order to have three displays.

Active Display 1

Active Display 2

Active Display 3

DisplayPort*

DisplayPort

HDMI* or DVI or VGA or DisplayPort or Built-in Display

DisplayPort or HDMI or DVI or VGA

Built-in Display3

DisplayPort or HDMI or DVI or VGA or Built-in Display

Intel® Wireless Display (Intel® WiDi)

You can check for more information about this configuration at the following link:

http://www.intel.com/support/graphics/sb/CS-033714.htm http://www.intel.com/support/graphics/sb/CS-033714.htm

I also recommend you installing the latest graphics driver available from our side at the link:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=22842&lang=eng&OSVersion=Windows%207%20(64-bit)*&DownloadType=%0A%09%09%09%09%09%09%09Drivers%0A%09%09%09%09%09%09

0 Kudos
SVick
Novice

I do have the latest drivers, etc.

I think I also have the configuration correct, I'm using a display port, mini display port and direct HDMI. On the display ports, I'm converting them to HDMI, but I'm thinking that should work.

0 Kudos
Kevin_M_Intel
Employee

Hello Satn,

We strongly recommend direct connections to monitors and not using video adapters or

convertors. This is because when using these type of devices the system needs

to transfer information and it can lose the signal during the process or it can

recognize the connection as the adapter itself and not the output.

The configuration you say you have is great but is necessary to use direct

connection but without this we cannot guarantee the correct functionality of

the device.
0 Kudos
SVick
Novice

Would an active adapter help?

0 Kudos
Kevin_M_Intel
Employee

Hello Satn,

We cannot guarantee the triple monitor configuration when using video convertors/adapters in the system; however, you can try an active adapter since it is quite different from a regular adapter.

0 Kudos
SVick
Novice

FYI for folks who want to do this in the future. I have this working with the following configuration:

1 - mobo hdmi out to hdmi monitor input

2 - mobo mini display port to ACTIVE mini display port to hdmi adapter then hdmi monitor

3 - mobo display port to ACTIVE display Port to hdmi adapter then hdmi monitor

They key basically is the ACTIVE adapters... passive did not work.

Not much good doc on this and Intel and ASUS support were really not helpful...

0 Kudos