Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20494 Discussions

6 - bit depth on Intel UHD Graphics 620

YNeehar
Beginner

Hello, 

I've been getting dark and high contrasted images after editing and exporting to other devices. Trying to look for display settings, the color depth shows only the 6-bit depth which I believe should be 8-bit. The drivers are up to date.

I'm attaching "DxDiag" file.

thanks!

0 Kudos
13 Replies
Sebastian_M_Intel

Hello YNeehar, 

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.   

In order to better assist you, please provide the following: 

1. Run the Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU) and attach the report generated:  

• Open the application, check the "Everything" box, and click on "Scan" to see the system and device information. By default, Intel® SSU will take you to the "Summary View".  
  • Click on the menu where it says "Summary" to change to "Detailed View".  
  • To save your scan, click on "Next", then "Save".  
  • Use the paperclip icon to attach the report to the thread. Please note that only one file can be attached at a time. 

2. I can see that you have a laptop, do you have an external monitor connected? 

If yes can you specify if the problem is with the built-in display or the external one? 

3. Also, can you please provide the brand and model number of the monitor and how are you connecting this monitor to the laptop? (cables type and revision, if using adapters please specify) 

4. Provide the Report for Intel® Graphics Drivers, follow this link. (Using the problematic configuration).

Regards, 

Sebastian M.  

Intel Customer Support Technician.  

0 Kudos
YNeehar
Beginner

Thanks for the quick response. No, I'm not working with the external monitors connected. I'm attaching the saved detailed view file from the Intel SSU and also the Information from Control panel

0 Kudos
Sebastian_M_Intel

Hello YNeehar, 

Thank you for the information. 

Please check our recommendations below. 

1. The Intel® HD Graphics support up to 12-bit color depth, however; this might also depend on the display. 

2. You have an outdated Intel® HD Graphics 620 driver, you might want to try to update the driver to the latest one that is provided by HP, you can find that here

3. In case this does not work, you can try to do a clean installation of the latest generic driver provided by Intel, in order to install it please follow these instructions. 

1. Download the latest DCH driver and save it on the computer. 
  2. Disconnect from the Internet so no new drivers are automatically installed by Windows Update. 
  3. Uninstall the driver and the Intel Graphics Control Panel from Control Panel > Programs and Features. 
  4. Restart the computer. 
  5. Confirm in Device Manager > Video Adapters the controller is listed as 'Microsoft Basic Display Adapter' > if not, repeat steps 2 through 4. 
  6. If the adapter continues to be listed as ‘Intel HD Graphics’ or similar, and no other Intel Graphics driver is listed under 'Programs and Features' for removal, then it means Windows has switched to a previously installed Legacy driver. At this point we can remove Legacy drivers from Device Manager: 
    1. Right-click on 'Intel HD Graphics' or similar, and select 'Uninstall Device' 
    2. In the pop-up window make sure 'Delete the driver software for this device' is checked. 
    3. Click on 'Uninstall'. 
    4. Restart. (Repeat steps 6.1.1 through 6.1.4 until the device gets listed as 'Microsoft Basic Display Adapter') 
  7. Install the DCH driver that was downloaded on step 1. 
  8. Restart the computer. 
  9. Reconnect to the Internet. 

4. If the above does not work, this can be a problem with the built-in display that does not support 8-bit, can you confirm with HP if this monitor supports it? I tried referring to the laptop's documentation but I could not find anything related to it. If you find something useful please share that information with us. 

Regards, 

Sebastian M.  

0 Kudos
YNeehar
Beginner

Hi Sebastian,

I've tried both the methods mentioned above with their respective links. While I got the confirmation that my device is capable of 8-bit in 'Microsoft Basic Display Adapter' (below screenshot), However, My device is updating back to the 'Intel UHD 620 graphics'. in the both methods. now I had to remove all the Intel Graphic Drivers for colour accuracy (8-bit)

And I've already contacted the HP support regarding this issue recently. Even they have no idea about the display configurations indetail.  Infact, they gave some lame replies and didn't even gave the possible ways like you did. I'd like to thank you for that 🙂

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

See Step 2; you were supposed to disconnect from the Internet while performing all of these steps. That means unplug any ethernet cable and disable wireless -- and keep it disconnected until the procedure tells you to reconnect it.

If you do this (as you were told to do), it will not overinstall with drivers from Windows Update.

...S

0 Kudos
YNeehar
Beginner

Hi Scott,

thanks for joining the conversation. That's what I've tried a ton of times. I've downloaded  the graphic driver from the HP website and disconnected the network connection. yet, It is installing the UHD 620 driver instead of HD 620 driver

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

It's the same package, so don't worry about how it seems to be labelled.

When you say "it is installing...", what are you talking about (is it Windows Update or Intel Driver & Support Assistant)?

One thing you can do is install the very latest Beta driver instead. This should stop it over-installing with something older. You can get Beta from here: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/29679/Intel-Graphics-BETA-Windows-10-DCH-Drivers.

...S

0 Kudos
YNeehar
Beginner

I'm sorry, But that didn't work either. If possible, please contact the manufacturers. OR check if there was an error in the drivers. I'm sure someone may going through the same issues. 

0 Kudos
Sebastian_M_Intel

Hello YNeehar, 

After reviewing the information you provided, I could see that the Microsoft Basic Display Adapter shows 8-bit, however; remember that this also depends on the monitor/display, please check the following: 

• As previously mentioned by n_scott_pearson, the driver should not revert back or fail if you do a clean installation, can you confirm if this happens using the Intel drivers (BETA and normal versions), installed over the Microsoft Basic Display Adapter, and without internet access?  
  • From the information provided by HP, did they mention if the built-in has an actual 8-bit panel, or is it 6-bit with Frame Rate Control (FRC) or dithering techniques? If that is the case, the Operating System and driver will recognize this as 6-bit. 
  • Another recommendation can be to update the BIOS of the laptop (please check the steps recommended by the manufacturer).  
  • If all the above does not work, you should double-check with HP since this behavior seems to be limited to this laptop specifically. 

Regards, 

Sebastian M.  

0 Kudos
YNeehar
Beginner
Hi Sebastian,
Yes, it is happening after Installing the Intel drivers (without the internet)
I've tried almost everything I could. Even contacted the manufacturer support. You could see the above replies. I've seen many of the similar topics in your form. Here's one of them

https://community.intel.com/t5/Graphics/6-Bit-Depth-in-HD-Graphics-620/td-p/658110

Take time to read the below topics of the link too. Graphics of 520,630....are also having same issues. The above links laptop is acer.
I'm not blaming. I support for your quick response. I'm talking the facts. While some find these Issues and others don't. Please check the issues if it is with the drivers and fix it in the next update.
0 Kudos
Sebastian_M_Intel

Hello YNeehar, 

Thank you for the information. 

We would like to look deeper into this behavior, in order to have everything clear; can you confirm in this case what do you mean by "My device is updating back to the 'Intel UHD 620 graphics'"? Does it mean that no matter what driver you install, the system makes a rollback to an older driver version? If yes, can you please share the driver version that the system is rolling back to? Please provide a screenshot.  

Do you have an external monitor that you can test with a straight connection? Disable the built-in display and using only the external monitor, to see the color depth support based on that? Please share the outcome with the monitor's model, cables being used, and a screenshot of the color depth.  

Regards, 

Sebastian M. 

0 Kudos
Sebastian_M_Intel

Hello YNeehar,  

Were you able to check the previous post and get the information requested? Please let me know if you need more assistance.  

Regards,  

Sebastian M.  

0 Kudos
Sebastian_M_Intel

Hello YNeehar,  

We have not heard back from you, so we will close this inquiry. If you need further assistance or if you have additional questions, please create a new thread and we will gladly assist you.  

Regards,  

Sebastian M.   

0 Kudos