Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20638 Discussions

8158821 Dragon Age Inquisition not running in full screen on Optimus laptops

DBord2
Novice

Hello,

it is a fact that since Dragon Age Inquisition has been released in 2014, nobody with an Optimus Laptop with a mix of Intel Iris HD and Nvidia xx0m graphics card has been able to play this game in full screen.

A lot of words have been spent against Electronic Arts and Nvidia, there a couple of official threads on this issue in their respective communities, but nor EA nor Nvidia have ever replied.

A first suspect that the issue could reside in the Iris drivers was coming from the fact that desktop user has an option for scaling override in the Nvidia control panel, which solve the issue, while in laptop users the option is not present, because the scaling is of Intel card responsibility.

I finally had the confirmation that the issue resides in the intel driver when I removed it from Windows and made the Intel card running with a generic Windows driver and the game was finally running full screen.

In my case the problem appears starting from Windows 8 up to Windows 10TP 10049.

I have an Iris 4600 HD card together with a GTX980m

The driver is the latest: 15.36.18.64.4156

but the issue appears with any mix of Intel and Nvidia drivers.

It looks like the problem is not present in Windows 7.

Please Intel have a look into it, as it looks that scaling issues are not new in this forum and there are other cases reported.

0 Kudos
76 Replies
ASalg
Beginner

Hi,

I´ve updated to Windows 10 10166, now DAI goes full screen, but i noticed an important frame rate drop; in windows 7 ( with the GeForce Experience suggested optimized settings) it had 38 minimun and 68 max frame rate, with average of 40 ; now within Windows 10 10166, same settings, it only gets to 18 minimun and 42 max, with average 28 .

Ok full screen is adressed, but the fix impacted the frame rate, just extrapolating, would the fix just mask a windowed full screen to a real fullscreen ?

0 Kudos
IRamo1
Novice

I updated to the latest windows 10 build 10158 and the game is still working. The installed driver version according to the Intel Graphics Control Panel is 10.18.15.4235. I am not sure which party was the one who finally solve the issue but I will thank Intel anyways because at least they provided proper customer service unlike EA.

0 Kudos
TChow
Beginner

Just tried installing the new 15.36.23.4251 driver update released yesterday, no change to DA: inquisition... shucks.

0 Kudos
DBord2
Novice

I suppose that Intel gave up on the idea to solve the bug in Windows 8/8.1.

In the end, it all ended up with silence from all the parts involved.

Good that in Windows 10 the bug looks solved (I'm going to test myself today) but it would have been respectful of the end users if Kevin could have closed this thread with a final reply (that could be: the problem is Windows8/8.1!!!).

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

Intel released the new Intel® Iris™, Iris™ Pro, and HD Graphics Production Driver for Windows* 10 64-bit version 15.40.4.64.4256. It is necessary to install the driver using Microsoft® Windows Update application.

Mike C

0 Kudos
DBord2
Novice

Mike C, the drivers you mention are for Windows 10.

Latest drivers for Windows 8/8.1 (4251) don't solve the issue mentioned in this thread.

0 Kudos
MBara6
New Contributor I

but i can see even if its the new driver,it still don't support directX 12 here is the problem..

and this driver also still causing the graphic card to crash and stop working ..none of your games will run on this driver version..

but i downloaded the latest version for windows 8.1 (4251) and the problem has been sovled..

and the graphic card works perfect just doesn't support DirectX 12

@mikec_intel

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

The maximum supported DirectX for Intel® HD graphics 4200 to Iris(*) 5200 is 11.1

It is a hardware limitation.

I recommend you to use our tool:

Optimize popular games to play on Intel Graphics

https://gameplay.intel.com/ https://gameplay.intel.com/

Regards,

Mike C

0 Kudos
MBara6
New Contributor I

Hardware limitation that means it doesn't support DirectX 12 or it's just a limitation and doesn't affect the fact that im using directx 12?

Please explain I didn't undrestand..

0 Kudos
DBord2
Novice

Sorry but I'm lost.

How all this discussion is related with the fact that Dragon Age Inquisition doesn't run fullscreen in Windows 8/8.1

Can somebody confirm that driver 15.36.23.4251 solved the problem?

According to Tracedog there was no change at all.

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi MohBrkat,

The maximum supported DirectX for Intel® HD graphics 4200 to Iris(*) 5200 is 11.1. DirectX 12 is not supported.

Dydog,

Your computer has switchable graphics, It is necessary to install the latest driver from Intel plus the graphics driver of Nvidia plus a third driver provided with your laptop manufacturer to enable switchable graphics.

Mike C

0 Kudos
TChow
Beginner

I gave up on Win 8.1 and followed your advice to upgrade to Win 10. Confirmed that DA: Inquisition works full screen in Win10. Better than nothing-

0 Kudos
Bryce__Intel
Employee

Combining threads:

Locked thread:

Hi all,

This has been picked up for investigation [8158821] and is currently in regression testing. I'll update more as it becomes available. Thank you for your patience and we appreciate your assistance.

0 Kudos
Bryce__Intel
Employee

Hey all,

Debug completed on this one. Our investigation concluded this is not an Intel issue. It is suggested to contact the other graphics vendor involved and/or game manufacturer to perform investigation into the issue. Intel is closing this on our side.

0 Kudos