Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20691 Discussions

8158821 Dragon Age Inquisition not running in full screen on Optimus laptops

DBord2
Novice

Hello,

it is a fact that since Dragon Age Inquisition has been released in 2014, nobody with an Optimus Laptop with a mix of Intel Iris HD and Nvidia xx0m graphics card has been able to play this game in full screen.

A lot of words have been spent against Electronic Arts and Nvidia, there a couple of official threads on this issue in their respective communities, but nor EA nor Nvidia have ever replied.

A first suspect that the issue could reside in the Iris drivers was coming from the fact that desktop user has an option for scaling override in the Nvidia control panel, which solve the issue, while in laptop users the option is not present, because the scaling is of Intel card responsibility.

I finally had the confirmation that the issue resides in the intel driver when I removed it from Windows and made the Intel card running with a generic Windows driver and the game was finally running full screen.

In my case the problem appears starting from Windows 8 up to Windows 10TP 10049.

I have an Iris 4600 HD card together with a GTX980m

The driver is the latest: 15.36.18.64.4156

but the issue appears with any mix of Intel and Nvidia drivers.

It looks like the problem is not present in Windows 7.

Please Intel have a look into it, as it looks that scaling issues are not new in this forum and there are other cases reported.

0 Kudos
76 Replies
ROBERT_U_Intel
Employee

All, Please be sure you have enabled "Scale to Full Screen" and Override Application Settings" in the Intel HD Graphics Control Panel.

Thanks

Robert

0 Kudos
ANymo1
Beginner

The scale full screen override option does appear to be new, but I'm afraid it doesn't work. Not surprising since Kevin said they're still working on the fix for this game and Optimus. Looks like we'll have to wait a bit longer.

0 Kudos
RErem
Beginner

This method does not work. I've already tried it.

0 Kudos
TChow
Beginner

Help us, kevin_intel Kenobi. You're our only hope.

0 Kudos
Kevin_M_Intel
Employee

Hello All,

We are constantly developing new drivers and fixing issues. This is a known issue and we are working towards a solution but I regret to say there is no ETA for the driver that may contain this fix.

We are really sorry for the delay on providing a solution but I appreciate your patience during this process.

0 Kudos
MKote1
Beginner

Hello,

I experiencing same issues with Alienware M17 R2 Intel HD 4600/NVidia 970M. Because Alienware using customized driver for Intel graphic card I am not able to use different driver than 10.18.10.3977 but when I tried in-game option "windowed fullscreen" game now running proper fullscreen without any frame and around 50fps on ultra. Hope this helps somebody.

DBord2
Novice

Hello Error40, unfortunately "windowed fullscreen" is not the solution, as it is only a visual trick. A windowed solution, fullscreen or not, introduces several frame drops. Maybe that is not evident to you with a 970M but I assure you that it is a big issue for most people with an Optimus laptop.

0 Kudos
SSmit34
Beginner

I am using the Lenovo Y50-70

Intel HD 4600

Nvidia 860m

I tried updating my graphics card using Lenovo's drivers for the graphics card since I could install Intel's version. Ran the game, turned on full screen and it still would not work.

So then I tried removing the Lenovo's drivers and I able to use Intel's drivers for the card. However the game still will not run in full screen.

0 Kudos
alevi3
Beginner

hey,

can anyone tell me where can i find and download those intel updates?

tnx!

0 Kudos
VYamn
Beginner

I upgraded from Win8.1 to Windows 10 Build 10130. I have no idea how, the game now runs in fullscreen

0 Kudos
ANymo1
Beginner

Are you sure the game is running fine and it's not just using your intel graphics card? Also, are you sure it's not borderless window mode? It would be great if Windows 10 solved the issue, but I'm sceptical since I heard others say Windows 10 has the same problem. I don't know if they were using older builds.

In other news, the extremely poorly received PC version of Batman: Arkham Knight appears to have a similar problem with full screen. The behaviour is a bit different. Using full screen leads to black flickering and the game running very slowly (like 1 fps), seemingly because it's conflicted between staying full screen and reverting to windowed mode. It appears to affect everyone with an Optimus controller Nvidia card.

0 Kudos
VYamn
Beginner

Yes and yes. There's a substantial increase in framerate when I switch to fullscreen from borderless windows mode.

By the way, if it makes any difference, I installed the drivers manually(i.e not through Windows Update).

0 Kudos
VYamn
Beginner

To anyone using Win10(Build 10130) or are willing to test it out,

The driver I am using doesn't allow/support being installed on Windows 10 without a bit of tweaking. So, use http://sertacozercan.com/2015/02/23/how-to-install-latest-intel-graphics-drivers-on-windows-10-technical-preview/ this tutorial to install the https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/24964/Intel-Iris-Iris-Pro-and-HD-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-7-8-8-1-64-bit driver and see if the game runs in fullscreen

0 Kudos
DBord2
Novice

That is a great news if confirmed, although this introduces the following doubts: where the problem is, in the operating System, in the Intel Driver, in the Nvidia driver???

I had tested all Windows 10 builds 9XXX before reverting to Windows 8.1 without any success. Unfortunately I'm going to travel and I have no time to test the latest build.

In the meantime I confirm the same issue with Batman Arkham Knight 😞

I would appreciate if Kevin can at least confirm if the cause is at Intel side, Nvidia side or a combination of things. Claiming that the issue has been reproduced and that Intel is working on a fix is a partial admission of responsibility, but it would be great to officially confirm.

Sorry to be pushing on this, but we understood that this is going to affect other big games as well.

At least I understood one thing: no more Optimus laptop for me in the future.....

0 Kudos
ANymo1
Beginner

I'm quite sure people have said that it works in Windows 7, so the OS can have an impact on this problem. I think all factors influence this Optimus full screen issue. I think the OS developer, the game developer, NVIDIA and Intel can all solve it on their own, but so far Intel has been the only one to step up and try to figure out how to solve it.

I'm not so negative about Optimus. I think more and more people are purchasing Optimus laptops and as that continues, it will be much harder for developers to ignore problems exclusive to Optimus.

0 Kudos
IRamo1
Novice

I can confirm that it is working on windows 10 build 10130. I did not have to use the latest Intel drivers, the windows default drivers worked. Although some artifacts appear in the screen when you open the game, but they disappear after the intro. I will try installing the latest drivers with the method above and see if there is any difference.

DBord2
Novice

Hello Izueh,

before changing the driver, would you please check the version included with build 10130 by default?

Maybe it is more recent and Intel could confirm that the issue has been addressed and partially solved in the beta drivers destined to Windows 10.

If no major release of the Intel driver has been issued since April, then it means that the issue has been addressed in the Operating System or in the Nvidia drivers.

0 Kudos
VYamn
Beginner

Intel isn't rolling out any drivers for Win10. All Intel HD drivers come directly from Microsoft through Windows Update AFAIK.

Also, the issue hasn't been resolved by anyone. It just isn't an issue anymore in Build 10130.

0 Kudos
IRamo1
Novice

Unfortunately I already updated the drivers and I did not check, although I can just easily revert back by using windows updates. Also the latest driver got rid of the annoying artifact at the beginning of the game.

0 Kudos
DBord2
Novice

Hello RandomGuy,

Intel is not yet officially supporting Windows 10 through the public channel, but still the driver published by Microsoft via Windows Update are developed by Intel.

Maybe the build 10130 is including a new beta driver or a driver update has been released via Windows Update.

I would like to have confirmation that the driver has not been changed since March, which could confirm a bug solved at Operating System level.

0 Kudos
VYamn
Beginner

dydog,

I am using the same driver as the one that was previously installed in Win8.1. So, it seems the issue's "been addressed" in build 10130. Also, kevin_intel would let us know if a driver had fixed this.

Anyway, you're right about the drivers being from Intel.

0 Kudos