Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20818 Discussions

8159769 [SCALING BUG] Windows 10 / Intel HD Graphics 4600 - Impossible to get rid of 'Black Borders' problem - Stuck at 'Constrain proportions'

RGras1
Novice

=== Device/Software information ===

32 GB DDR3L-1600 G-Skill RipJaws,

Intel Core i7-4710MQ

Intel HD Graphics 4600

Nvidia GeForce GTX 980M 4GB GDDR5

128 GB Samsung SSD (Boot)

1 TB Samsung Evo 850 (Games)

1 TB Hitachi HDD (Data)

Driver Version: 15.40.4.64.4256

OS Version: Windows 10 Educational

=== Problem Description ===

No matter what settings you choose for your display in Intel HD Graphics Control Panel -> Display -> Basic -> Scaling,

When you launch a fullscreen application the setting will be ignored and it will revert back to 'constrain propostions' when enabling fullscreen, then when you alt-tab to desktop it will go back to your selected mode, then you alt tab to game and it will go back to proportions setting again, making it impossible to get rid of the black borders.

The setting only is applicable in Windows 10 Desktop, doesn't work for fullscreen apps.

It worked good in Windows 8.1, I just upgraded from 8.1 to 10.

In windows 8.1 I could game on any resolution without black borders - a nice, full, filled screen.

I think I have the same issue as the sir here:

Please fix this ASAP or suggest steps to fix.

Problem does not happen without drivers (Driverless) -> Games run in full screen / fill screen mode at any resolution (so this is not a Windows bug).

112 Replies
AIlet
Beginner

Thx, /thread/103311 it's working for my 4710hq at last!

0 Kudos
Allan_J_Intel1
Employee

Nice to hear this is working for you, let's hope this will be the same for other users.

Allan.

0 Kudos
JHort1
Beginner

Any news about the fix for Baytrail W10 users? The problem is very annoying.

0 Kudos
Allan_J_Intel1
Employee

"Override scaling" will not work for external displays in BayTrail or Braswell. This is a known limitation due to these platforms having only one scalar which is assigned to internal panels mostly.

Allan.

Edited by Bryce@Intel

0 Kudos
JHort1
Beginner

So, the fix for Baytrail users is coming soon? Cause I've been looking for a workaround but don't have found anything.

0 Kudos
jbowm1
Beginner

Well, I'm glad it worked for you guys, but all updating did for me is make everything much worse. Now all text looks like crap.

I don't have a damned television. I have a monitor that will pretend it's a TV in case it's hooked to a crappy old piece of junk, but unfortunately, Intel presents itself as a crappy old piece of junk and I STILL GET OVERSCAN. I still have to use custom aspect ratio, which totally fails when a program changes the resolution -- scale full screen is unavailable to me.

And now, with the latest 4463 drivers (20.19.15.4463 for me on Win10) it's outputting YCbCr 4:2:0 instead of RGB 4:4:4, so text is blurry and color-fringed for no reason at all. What the hell? What did you do? I have YCbCr disabled, why is it outputting YCbCr? Just let me turn the television detection off! I don't want it! I don't need it! Just treat the damned HDMI port like a DVI port and I'll be perfectly happy! Everything worked great when I had a DVI-to-HDMI connection on this monitor, and it all went to hell when I upgraded to a laptop with an Intel HDMI port.

Maybe, if I could just create a custom resolution, I could fix it, but nothing I put in, even the actual current resolution of the monitor, are allowed. I'm not even sure what the point of the tab is, if it won't accept anything.

0 Kudos
PStra3
Beginner

Hey guys,

I have i a problem with this old thing... i updated to windows 10 everything works fine , but i cant get rid of the black bars on games and cant find ant update for this graphics card. any help Thank you !

0 Kudos
Allan_J_Intel1
Employee

Superiordenim I have sent a private message.

Allan.

0 Kudos