Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20948 Discussions

[9024844] Custom resolution not working

RCarl6
New Contributor I

I emailed Intel Customer Support Service and they refer me to this forum because the agent say it will have the correct exposure to intel engineering department. (request # 8001214860)

The problem is Intel Graphics driver for HD 4600 (and presumably others too) have a broken custom resolution for Built in LCD. No matter what setting you put into it, it will always custom resolution exceeds the maximum bandwidth capacity.

I tested it on many different laptop with eDP (embedded displayport) like Alienware 17, Asus G751JM, Asus Q551LN, Lenovo Y50-70, Razer Blade 14, MSI GT60 Dominator Pro, and Gigabyte P34 and they all say custom resolution exceeds the maximum bandwidth capacity.

To establish the fact that bandwidth is not the problem, I tried creating a custom resolution at native res (1920x1080) at 59Hz (default is 60Hz) and it says custom resolution exceeds the maximum bandwidth capacity. To test it further I downscale the resolution to 1600x900 @ 59Hz and it still gives the error so I conclude the problem is with the driver itself.

I tried the oldest and newest driver from the OEM and the one on Intel website and they are all broken.

The problem is NOT ISOLATED on a laptop model or a manufacturer but the Intel Graphics driver itself.

In fact if you verify the problem by testing it on ANY laptop that has an Intel graphics and try to create a custom resolution that is 1Hz less than native (like 59Hz) and it will give you the same error.

So why does it matter? Almost every single gaming laptop that is being released are NVIDIA Optimus Enabled (Hybrid Graphics where Intel Graphics is handling the display) and it prevents people from changing the refresh rate of the display. As an example the LCD panel found on Asus G751JM-BHI7T25 uses LG LP156WF4 SPL1 which is the exact same panel found on Asus G751JY that comes at 75Hz by default, but we cannot change the refresh rate due to broken Intel Custom Resolution even though the LCD panel itself is more than capable to handle it.

Refresh rate is a huge feature as evident on monitors getting released (like BenQ XL2430T, Asus ROG Swift, Acer Predator, etc...) and if you ask any gamer that has tried a high refresh rate monitor they will tell you how much big of a difference it is and because of this issue, any gaming laptop that has Hybrid graphics (Intel Graphics enabled) is a HUGE deal breaker.

[Edit by Bryce@Intel]: Changed title to reflect investigation bug# and title.

Old title: Intel driver is completely broken (custom resolution)

1 Solution
Bryce__Intel
Employee

[Edit 10/08/18] *This change to unlock the drivers to allow 3rd party apps to function is checked into all branches of drivers, which means all 'latest' drivers are unlocked. The drivers below are simply the first driver in each branch that were unlocked. Please download the latest driver for your platform, or you can use https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/detect.html iDSA to automatically detect what driver updates are available for your system.

Happy Friday/Saturday all,

Great news! This completes the platform support. These drivers enable the use of 3rd party EDID applications for internal and external panels on Intel platforms.

Products: 4th Generation (Haswell) - OS: Windows* 7, Windows* 8.1

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26544/Graphics-Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-7-8-1-15-36-%3Fproduct%3D81498 Download Intel® Graphics Driver for Windows 7*/8.1* [15.36]

Products: 4th Generation (Haswell) - OS: Windows® 10

Products: 5th Generation (Broadwell) - OS: Windows* 7, Windows* 8.1, Windows® 10

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26682/Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-15-40- Download Intel® Graphics Driver for Windows* [15.40]

Products: 6th Generation (Skylake) - OS: Windows* 7, Windows* 8.1, Windows® 10

Products: 7th Generation (Kaby Lake) - OS: Windows® 10

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26669/Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-15-45- Download Intel® Graphics Driver for Windows* [15.45]

.:Bryce:.

I started discussion space to continue this topic. I'm locking out this thread as resolved. Thanks all for your input!

/thread/113612 Using 3rd party EDID apps to modify modes

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
269 Replies
JChai4
Beginner

I've downladed the Kaby Lake one and tried to add CRU after rebooting even with 59Hz it still doesn't let me.

Custom resolution exceeds the maximum bandwidth capacity.

0 Kudos
SLyon1
Beginner

Custom resolution exceeds the maximum bandwidth capacity.

That is the message given when you use Intel's Built-in Custom Resolution profole creator.

The beta driver does not patch the built in CR creator.

The beta driver implements EDID overrides, allowing the infamous external utility, "Custom Resolution Utility", by user ToastyX on the monitortests forum, to inject custom resolution profiles into it. Try that utility before claiming that the beta driver doesn't work.

It does work, just not with the CRU in the settings menu it comes with.

0 Kudos
JChai4
Beginner

I've tried that aswell, custom doesn't show up after reboot just 60Hz.

Optimus

Nvidia 950M

HD 530

0 Kudos
OPepr
Beginner

Thanks a lot Bryce for that drivers!

I have a question for you and others here. Is there a 100Hz limit for refresh rate? I managed to overclock refresh rate in my built in display to 90+ Hz. I tried to use CRU to set a 100Hz resolution but it doesn't even show up in the selection list in Windows. The 100Hz resolution is in EDID but I cant select it. I can select all the refresh rates below 100Hz though.

So have anyone managed to overclock to 100Hz (even with artifacts)?

I'm on Win8.1, newest driver, i7-4710HQ

# EDIT #

Disgregard this post. It is just 240MHz pixel clock limit in my eDP panel. By a pure coincidence it is almost exactly 100Hz.

BBalt3
Beginner

Windows 10 64bit

i7 6700HQ

Intel HD 530

NVIDIA GTX 960M 4GB

Driver Version 21.20.16.4590

CRU doesn't work. EDID override doesn't work!

Help! Pleaseeee!

0 Kudos
HMoss
Beginner

Windows 10 Skylake next please

0 Kudos
AChen100
Novice

IronGiant margroloc

What do you mean the driver won't work on Skylake Windows 10? I got it to work fine. I installed it via devmgmt.msc and added the values via CRU and it worked fine after a reboot.

You just have to stop Windows from automatically "updating" the beta driver

0 Kudos
kd
Beginner

I wasn't using windows 10.

I tried the test driver with an hd530 in Windows 7, installed via device management, and tried CRU. Granted, I didn't reboot after applying CRU settings so maybe then it would have worked - but without restarting I didn't see any custom refresh rates and there was a lot of visual corruption in various apps (like word, browsers, windows explorer) so even if it did work I'd have to roll back.

Are you using the test driver or the one Bryce just posted for Haswell?

0 Kudos
AChen100
Novice

I am using Test Driver that was first published somewhere near Christmas 2016

Using the restart.exe tool by CRU doesn't work. You have to restart your computer.

I notice you are using the HD 530, I'm using the 520. I don't know if there are a lot of differences in the base driver code, but that may be the difference.

BTW, if you are having "visual corruption"s are you sure the display is driven by the iGPU and not the CPU (i.e. is Microsoft Basic Display Driver trying to drive the monitor? Can you change the brightness?)

were you also on the NotebookReview forums for Throttlestop? I could have sworn your name came up there...

0 Kudos
HMoss
Beginner

I'm happy you got it to work, but on my laptop running 6700hq I can not get CRU to work and to be fair none of the drivers released here so far have officially supported this for 6th gen in windows 10

0 Kudos
kd
Beginner

Yes, display is being driven by the iGPU, apps are being run on the iGPU, intel drivers are handling it. Problem is the test driver posted gives me random black spots when scrolling and messes with the fonts. Makes the computer unusable which is not okay - maybe it doesn't have that problem in windows 10 and custom res is working fine but I'll just wait a while longer for the official version for win 7 (hopefully).

I also post on the throttlestop thread on NBR yes

717 hours of undervolting on this i7-6700HQ and -151/-128mV is stable for now...

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

It's supposed to require dual link DVI, but it connected after setting a custom resolution with lower refresh rate.

Thanks

http://driverrestore.com/ driver restore

0 Kudos
cbran5
Beginner

My laptop LCD wont go over 63hz.

Would changing any of those BIOS options help?

http://imgur.com/tV8jOgh Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

0 Kudos
DRosa2
Beginner

Any test drivers for 4th gen Intel iGPUs (HD 4600)?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

all of my laptops also have this issue and I have been waiting a long time for this to be fixed so I can push higher refresh rates to my screens. Asus UX303LN, Clevo W230SS, are the two machines that I have and cannot set higher refresh rates.

0 Kudos
kd
Beginner

I see Bryce posted the updated vulkan driver which supposedly enables custom resolutions for most intel graphics on most OSs, but for me this functionality is still not working.

Intel's built in tool still doesn't allow refresh rates to be changed. Still the same "bandwidth exceeded" message we've all been seeing for these past years.

ToastyX's CRU does not work either, even after a reboot. Custom refresh rates applied via CRU still don't show up in Windows's refresh rate menu.

This is on skylake with windows 7, supposedly supported by the new driver.

What is going on?

Has anyone actually managed to get this to work?

EDIT:

Even after uninstalling both intel & nvidia drivers with display driver uninstaller (DDU), then freshly installing only the new intel drivers, applying a new refresh rate via CRU and rebooting - the new refresh rate still does not show up.

0 Kudos
SLyon1
Beginner

I don't know what's gone down with the newer betas of the driver, but I do know this-the original beta driver seems to work pretty dern well with my Broadwell-U I7 laptop.

I haven't touched any of the newer beta drivers, and from the looks of it, I don't plan to.

From 60Hz to 85, this driver is bloody amazing.

0 Kudos
RRaj5
Beginner

Any update on, when the final fix will be available for windows 10.

I still cannot go to the full resolution that my monitor supports. Tried with CRU and test drivers but no use,

I am eagerly waiting for the fix as my work requires me to use a high resolution setup.

Please update.

0 Kudos
Bryce__Intel
Employee

Those that are using 15.45 for 6th & 7th Gen [Skylake & Kaby Lake], I apologize, I made a mistake and announced too soon. The code changes didn't make it into the 4590 though they are targeted for the next official release.

The changes should be in the Beta driver that was just released so I changed the link in the Correct Answer post to the Beta for now, please give that a try and post back if it's working or not working for you to confirm. Again, I apologize for the thrash and am hoping the Beta can work as an interim solution until our next official 15.45 release. I'm also exerting heavy pressure to speed along the 4th & 5th Gen release [15.40]; it looks like we're still at least 2-3 weeks out for that one.

kd
Beginner

THANK YOU!

Dare I say it, looks like you guys have finally done it.

I applied a 65hz custom resolution with CRU 1.3 which showed up after a reboot. The blurbusters frameskipping test is acting really weird for me, but I guess I can believe what windows is telling me.

Skylake hd530, windows 7, beta driver 15.45.4614 (21.20.16.4614)

THANK YOU BRYCE! (SO. MUCH.) (!!)

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello, I'd like to chime in too. I played Overwatch on a high end desktop gaming PC with G-Sync and felt sad that my Alienware 17 doesn't the game as well (despite having great FPS in-game using the counter). I realized it was a monitor issue and embarked on a quest to either: hook up an external monitor to my laptop or find a way to boost the monitor's frequency. Read through this thread a couple of times and followed the instructions.

Here are my computer's facts:

Alienware 17R2 laptop

HD4600 intel chip (with nVidia 980M as dedicated) running optimus

CPU is Haswell (4th gen)

OS is Win10 64

I installed Bryce's Test Drivers (after using DDU to uninstalled the currently installed ones), and used CRU to define new refresh rates.

Used the UFO tests to see if changes occurred.

Confirmed, from the default 60hz refresh rate, I've been able to push it to a max of 95hz. I am in love.

I tried defining higher frequencies, but they won't even show up in the refresh rate selector in the display settings menu.

It's worth a try everyone, I hope you can get higher refresh rates!

0 Kudos