Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20944 Discussions

A few issues regarding Intel's drivers after the installation of Arc A380

NikosD
New Contributor I

Hello.

Happy owner of an Arc A380 since yesterday and I think this tiny card has unbelievable tons of value for its money.

I'm using latest Windows 11 build and latest Intel drivers 4644 with a Ryzen 5900X CPU.

A few issues encountered yesterday, the first few hours using A380. The installation of 4644 driver was the first Intel driver for my system.

1) The driver installer didn't like to install at all!

It kept complaining about "unauthorized location" albeit I tried installing the driver from my profile (desktop, downloads) and a second drive 😧

The only workaround that I discovered and used was extracting the installer and running the installer.exe from the extracted folder.

Is it a known issue ?

2) Frozen BIOS menu and funny resolution.

My motherboard BIOS has two options for resolution.

Standard resolution of 1024x 768 and HD resolution of 1920 x 1080.

My Arc A380 somehow managed to display the BIOS menu to 4K resolution (!) supported of course by my monitor but not from the BIOS officially.

The letters are smaller than usual but OK.

The main issue was that after just a few seconds, keyboard and mouse stop working inside the BIOS and everything look frozen.

I had to restart the PC.

Haven't found a workaround.

3) Numerous disconnections/ reconnections (?) of HDMI link of A380 and monitor, showcased as a banner at the top of the monitor, displaying information of the exact HDMI port connected (source), clock etc.

A usual banner of the monitor when someone asks for info regarding the connection.

It keeps appearing all the time, although the new firmware of A380 embedded in the driver, installed successfully.

4) Is there any way to override monitor frequencies using drivers ?

My monitor unofficially supports 1080@144 Hz and I used to create that frequency profile using driver's menu options and not using external apps.

Thank you!

0 Kudos
1 Solution
NikosD
New Contributor I

Hello.

Yes the message is The application is in an unauthorized location. Please move to a non-system folder."

It usually happens when the installation of the Windows is not the "default", e.g if you move the pagefile.sys or the swapfile.sys to a different disk (like D:) 

After a clean install of Windows, I could run the installer without problems.

If someone can't do a clean install or doesn't remember the changes in Windows default installation, Intel should provide the installer as a .zip file to extract and run it, as a workaround.

Or provide an installer more tolerant to custom windows configurations - non-default.

So, the workaround is simply to extract the installer using 7zip or other similar program and run the executable installer.exe from the extracted folder.

I will write new posts regarding my other issues.

Case solved. You can mark this post as a solution.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Andres_Intel
Employee

Hello NikosD,

Thank you for posting on the Intel®️ communities. I see that you are having driver installation issues with your Intel® Arc™ A380 Graphics  receive the error message "unauthorized location", I understand this can be frustrating for you, I will be happy to help you.  

Please open a thread per issue to keeps all threads organized.

To have a better understanding of the situation, please answer the following questions: 

• Just to double check, was the error message that you received when trying to install the graphics drive "The application is in an unauthorized location. Please move to a non-system folder."?
  • Provide the step by steps workaround.

Regards,  

Andres P. 

Intel Customer Support Technician 

0 Kudos
NikosD
New Contributor I

Hello.

Yes the message is The application is in an unauthorized location. Please move to a non-system folder."

It usually happens when the installation of the Windows is not the "default", e.g if you move the pagefile.sys or the swapfile.sys to a different disk (like D:) 

After a clean install of Windows, I could run the installer without problems.

If someone can't do a clean install or doesn't remember the changes in Windows default installation, Intel should provide the installer as a .zip file to extract and run it, as a workaround.

Or provide an installer more tolerant to custom windows configurations - non-default.

So, the workaround is simply to extract the installer using 7zip or other similar program and run the executable installer.exe from the extracted folder.

I will write new posts regarding my other issues.

Case solved. You can mark this post as a solution.

0 Kudos
Andres_Intel
Employee

Hello NikosD,

Thank you for your response, and all the information provided.

We appreciate all the comments, it is very helpful and important for us.

For now, we will close this thread. If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored.  

Best regards, 

Andres P.   

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos