Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20622 Discussions

A problem with UHD 620 and 5120x1440 resolution (Philips 499p9h Monitor)

MJani10
New Contributor I

Hello, 

I have a 850 g5 laptop with UHD 620 video card and a problem with connecting it to 499p9h Phillips Brillance 49 inch monitor which uses 5120x1440 resolution. 

I have tried multiple connection options:

a) PC HDMI out port --> 499p9h HDMI to HDMI cable

b) Ultraslim dock DP out port --> 499p9h DP to DP cable 

c) Ultraslim dock DP out port --> 499p9h HDMI with DP to HDMI cable 

Video drivers tried:

- sp99907 original newest HP video drivers for UHD 620

- igfx_win10_100.7870 - Intel newest drivers

- some older video drivers from Intel

Ultraslim dock has the newest firmware applied (SP79015) version 2.33

Inf file from the monitor vendor is applied in the system

for b and a: The target resolution is sometimes visible for choosing and after applying the change, resolution works. However this works only to the restart moment. after restart, resolution is reset to 640x480 and no other resolution is visible in the setting panel. Disconnecting Ultraslim dock and connecting it again causes 5120x1440 to be visible again.

for c: resolutions up to 3840x1080 are available, and additionally 3840x2160 which is incorrect for this monitor (it works on 30hz but the display is 'flattened')

Please advise what to do in order to get stable 5120x1440 resolution. It surely works (a and b cases) but its not stable (changes after restart)

Is there any special driver I should apply or anything else I could do

0 Kudos
1 Solution
MJani10
New Contributor I

Hi. After months of testing multiple drivers and searching I finally got the resolutions right and it works on all new drivers from intel. 

I can also confirm that the fault is in the Intel supplied drivers / resolution definitions. The hardware is able to sustain 5120x1440 on uhd 620, with direct connection or even through old docking station. It's a pity that Intel support/driver package developers cannot make things right - users must. 

So in order to make high res available, one tool is needed: Custom resolution utility (CRU.exe)

This can be downloaded from here: 

https://www.monitortests.com/forum/Thread-Custom-Resolution-Utility-CRU

Now after running the tool in administrator mode you need to:

- select your wide monitor from the top dropdown list

- in the extension blocks section (one on the bottom) edit first "Default extension block"

- from the type dropdown list: DisplayID, then "Add" (on the bottom - left of the window) and select "Detailed resolutions"

- then another Add. A screen with loads of parameters will appear. just edit "active" line which represents resolution. Also you might want to change refresh rate (tested and works 59Hz and 70Hz  res: 5120x1440 on uhd 620 but of course it will depend on your monitor)  and check box called "native" (it will make new resolution "reccomended" in Windows)

After edit, select OK 3 times to shut all windows. Final OK on the main screen to apply changes and restart. 

New resolution will be available in the Windows. 

Thats all. As I mentioned before, and would stress again... very sad that these guides come from a user not from the vendor which should apply settings in driver pack and not make users search for some external tools!

MJ

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
21 Replies
MJani10
New Contributor I

Hi. After months of testing multiple drivers and searching I finally got the resolutions right and it works on all new drivers from intel. 

I can also confirm that the fault is in the Intel supplied drivers / resolution definitions. The hardware is able to sustain 5120x1440 on uhd 620, with direct connection or even through old docking station. It's a pity that Intel support/driver package developers cannot make things right - users must. 

So in order to make high res available, one tool is needed: Custom resolution utility (CRU.exe)

This can be downloaded from here: 

https://www.monitortests.com/forum/Thread-Custom-Resolution-Utility-CRU

Now after running the tool in administrator mode you need to:

- select your wide monitor from the top dropdown list

- in the extension blocks section (one on the bottom) edit first "Default extension block"

- from the type dropdown list: DisplayID, then "Add" (on the bottom - left of the window) and select "Detailed resolutions"

- then another Add. A screen with loads of parameters will appear. just edit "active" line which represents resolution. Also you might want to change refresh rate (tested and works 59Hz and 70Hz  res: 5120x1440 on uhd 620 but of course it will depend on your monitor)  and check box called "native" (it will make new resolution "reccomended" in Windows)

After edit, select OK 3 times to shut all windows. Final OK on the main screen to apply changes and restart. 

New resolution will be available in the Windows. 

Thats all. As I mentioned before, and would stress again... very sad that these guides come from a user not from the vendor which should apply settings in driver pack and not make users search for some external tools!

MJ

0 Kudos