Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20602 Discussions

Acer C720 eDP Display Detection issue Windows 8.1/10 Intel HD Graphics

PSaha1
Novice

I have been having issues with the Intel HD Graphics driver not detecting the eDP Display properly on the Acer C720 with Windows 8.1/10.

With the Microsoft Basic Display Driver (no Intel HD Graphics Driver installed) the system works perfectly with both eDP and HDMI outputs working. However, when the Intel HD Graphics driver (any version) is installed the eDP stops working. When both eDP and HDMI out are connected, there's lines on both screens. With eDP disconnected and HDMI out connected, the HDMI display works perfectly, indicating it is not a problem with the BIOS but is rather an eDP display detection issue with the Intel HD Graphics Driver.

One thing that I noticed was interesting was that when the Windows 8.1 driver (version 10.18.10.4226) is installed, and Intel HD Graphics is disabled and enabled again from device manager, the eDP turns on and both eDP and HDMI out work perfectly with graphics acceleration until the device is rebooted. this means that it's a detection issue with Intel HD Graphics on the first boot.

In Linux, i915 is able to run both displays properly, it is Windows that has the issue except with the combination of the Windows 8.1 driver and the disable/re-enable workaround. I wish I could've fixed the driver myself but it's closed source so unfortunately that's not an option 😕 (I have experience with writing Windows drivers and have done so to get the other parts of this system working)

I have looked through all the intel documentation and fixed up the coreboot bios and checked the options set in the video bios (version 2170 HSW) and it seems fine and the display does work properly until the Intel HD Graphics driver is loaded.

I have attached the relevant diagnostic information from the Intel HD Graphics although the Intel HD Graphics report is in the "working state" with the older driver + workaround as the control panel crashes when the driver can't detect a monitor connected.

Category

Questions

Answers (N/A if not applicable)

Description

Provide a detailed description of the issue AND 'does it fail every single time, or only sometimes?' If you can offer a % rate please do.

Black Screen After Graphics Driver Installed and after reboot. Fails to turn on display 100% of the time.

Hardware (HW)

Brand and Model of the system.

Acer C720

Hybrid or switchable graphics system? ie Does it have AMD or NV graphics too?

No. Integrated only.

<p style="font-...
0 Kudos
25 Replies
PPock
Beginner

I have posted in a previous thread the very same issue, I also have an Acer c720 2gb and a 4gb version, both running intel celeron 2295u, and windows 10 pro as soon as i try to install the Graphics Driver i get a black screen, and using the same troubleshooting method, meaning, using teamviewer to access the computer shows that there is no display detected on device manager.

Please have a look into it, Thank you in advance.

MDavi30
Beginner

This is something that I would like addressed as well.

Henry_A_Intel1
Employee

Hello coolstar;

Thank you for your enquiry. For your Acer C720 there are 4 different model.

Two comes with Intel Celeron 2955U Dual-core 1.40 GHz - Intel HD Graphics with Shared Memory.

And two others with Intel Core i3-4005U Dual-core 1.70 GHz - Intel HD 4400 with Shared Memory.

For the first configuration you can check this web site, but there is no Drivers for Windows 10.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/75608/Intel-Celeron-Processor-2955U-2M-Cache-1-40-GHz- https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/75608/Intel-Celeron-Processor-2955U-2M-Cache-1-40-GHz-

For the second configuration you can visit this web site, but there is no Drivers for Windows 10.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/75105/Intel-Core-i3-4005U-Processor-3M-Cache-1-70-GHz- https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/75105/Intel-Core-i3-4005U-Processor-3M-Cache-1-70-GHz-

But for the second configuration with the Intel HD 4400 you could try this web site for the graphic drivers.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/81497/Intel-HD-Graphics-4400-for-4th-Generation-Intel-Core-Processors https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/81497/Intel-HD-Graphics-4400-for-4th-Generation-Intel-Core-Processors

Regards;

Henry A.

PSaha1
Novice

The drivers from that last link do install on the Celeron 2955U model, but they get the issue that I have described above - eDP is not detected although HDMI out works.

I have tried Windows 7, Windows 8.1 and Windows 10 with the latest drivers. All of them get the issue with the eDP unless version 10.18.10.4226 is installed and then the device is disabled and re-enabled in device manager. After the workaround is used, the eDP starts working but stops working on the next reboot.

NHass5
New Contributor I

Why is Intel not providing Windows 10 drivers for the Celeron 2955U Dual-core 1.40 GHz - Intel HD Graphics?

I find such behaviour very mean from a big company, towards the community of users owning such products.

0 Kudos
PSaha1
Novice

this same issue not only affects the Celeron 2955U but also the Core i3 4005U. I'm now using an Acer C720 with Core i3 4005U and Intel HD 4400 graphics. This model also gets the same eDP detection issue.

0 Kudos
NHass5
New Contributor I

These PC Behemoths cripple hardware by not providing firmware and drivers to manipulate their market and force people's hands as to what to use...

A shameful and despicable practice started by Apple and Microsoft back in the day.

0 Kudos
ODel
Beginner

I'm also experiencing the issue...

Would be nice to have a fix !

NHass5
New Contributor I

I found a way around it using the 4226 driver, but it is convoluted as you need an extra accessory, but as soon as it is loaded, it can be unplugged.

0 Kudos
Allan_J_Intel1
Employee

Thanks for sharing this information.

Allan.

0 Kudos
NHass5
New Contributor I

The said accessory is a usb 3.0 displaylink device hooked to an external hdmi monitor.

0 Kudos
Allan_J_Intel1
Employee
0 Kudos
PSaha1
Novice

Any update? This issue still happens on the latest Windows 10 build 10586 with the latest 10.18.15.4281 driver.

Happens 100% of the time on both Celeron 2955U with Intel HD Graphics and on Core i3 4005U with Intel HD 4400.

Workaround doesn't work on 10.18.15.4281 but rolling back to 10.18.10.4226 and using the workaround works on that older driver.

0 Kudos
PSaha1
Novice

this issue is very serious as the display doesn't even work correctly and Windows keeps wanting to update to the newer drivers which are completely broken

0 Kudos
Allan_J_Intel1
Employee

This is clearly a compatibility issue with the graphics controller and the Acer C720 monitor.

I recommend keep updating to the latest video drivers off Intel site or your computer manufacturer.

Allan.

0 Kudos
PSaha1
Novice

The Acer C720's display is a 1366x768 single link eDP panel from Innolux.

http://www.panelook.com/N116BGE-EA2_Innolux_11.6_LCM_overview_21066.html http://www.panelook.com/N116BGE-EA2_Innolux_11.6_LCM_overview_21066.html

The eDP connector on the Acer C720 itself only has a single link eDP connection (and hence only supports 1366x768). Does the driver have issues with single link eDP panels?

0 Kudos
Allan_J_Intel1
Employee

I will update this thread as soon as I get anything from engineering.

Allan.

0 Kudos
PSaha1
Novice

Tried the latest beta driver (15.40.12.4326). This beta driver exhibits a worse issue where it doesn't detect the display at all, regardless of any workarounds that I try using which worked on previous driver.

Rolling back to 15.33.36.64.4226 and using "devcon restart PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_0A16*" gets the display working again. This is really frustrating that intel can't even fix an eDP detection issue after many months. I even offered to allow someone from intel to remote into one of my systems to debug the issue, but it's been turned down.

0 Kudos
PSaha1
Novice

this is incredibly infuriating as the newer graphics drivers completely brick the system and make it unusable as a laptop. What exacerbates the issue even more is Windows 10 keeps wanting to update to it. Seriously, fix your driver or I will sell my system and buy an AMD based system.

0 Kudos
PSaha1
Novice

any update? It's been another month and still no fix. Display works in the BIOS and Windows until the driver is installed, but there's no acceleration without the driver. The display works fine in Linux with acceleration,which means it's a problem with the Windows Intel driver, not the display or Windows.

0 Kudos