Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20731 Discussions

After Windows 10 Upgrade: Display driver stopped responding and has recovered: Display driver Intel HD graphics drivers for Windows 8(R) stopped responding and has successfully recovered.

TGrah1
Novice

Computer is Dell M3800 w i7 & Intel 4600, 16GRAM, 256SSD.

Computer also has nVIDIA driver that can be selectively used. I rarely use it - default is the 4600 card.

I use Dell 3000 USB docking station that uses DisplayLink for multiple monitor support. I get the error whether I'm docked or not.

No problems in Windows 7

Upgraded to Windows 10.

*** Problem: System 'freezes' then I get a notification that the display driver has stopped and then recovered. *** This happens randomly with a frequency about every hour or so.

Upgraded driver through Dell Website (along with BIOS and other drivers). Problem still exists.

Upgraded driver through Device Manager. Problem still exists.

Downloaded latest drivers from Intel website. Uninstalled the previously installed driver. Installed the Intel driver. Install warns that the driver is older than the existing drivers. I installed anyway. Problem still exists.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25150/Intel-Iris-Iris-Pro-and-HD-Graphics-Production-Driver-for-Windows-10-64-bit Download Intel® Iris™, Iris™ Pro, and HD Graphics Production Driver for Windows® 10 64-bit

Upgraded driver through Device Manager. Problem still exists.

Please tell me you have a solution to this. I've looked at other forum entries for this and haven't seen a definitive solution. I'm about to revert back to Windows 7.

Thanks!

135 Replies
BYard1
Beginner

I am having a similar issue. Mine however only ever seems to be an issue when im playing world of warcraft or other similarly big games.

I will say that calling "roll back to windows 8.1/7" a solution is less than great because, you can only even do that for the first month you have windows 10. After that point you lose the option unless you have the old install handy, which for machines that came with it, that's not an option either. I may not be an IT guy, but a month+ seems a little long for a fix like this.

0 Kudos
CDrah
Novice

Came on here to post about the same issue. It's been happening for about a week or two now, first every once in a while...now every 5-10 minutes. Happens when watching YouTube, Twitch, browsing the web, etc. Does not happen when I play League of Legends.

ASUS G751JT gaming laptop, i7-4710HQ @ 6.5 GHz, Windows 10.

I went into device manager and checked for updates for the driver, it downloaded and installed a new one, the issue persists. I checked for other drivers and found a link...but it looked like the drivers were all for i6 processors and earlier..

SBout1
Beginner

Sorry to be boring, but same issue for me even after the latest update. Happens on the desktop and in game. Twice yesterday the entire laptop froze whilst YouTube was active.

HP Envy i704710MQ CPU @ 2.5 GHz, 8GB RAM, Windows 10 Home. HD Graphics 4600.

(2nd GPU Nvidia 840M - up to date)

Stewart

0 Kudos
anine1
Novice

I wonder what's going on with Intel and Microsoft?! Where are their tech people? What's up with the maintaining team? This issue has been around since, like, the birth of Windows 10, and there's been NO SOLUTION to it up to date.

What's wrong Intel?! You can't see how many people suffer with your product here? And please don't tell me it's your less important product, I believe most people here use i7 which is considered to be high end line, and NO FIX!?!

C'mon....

CDrah
Novice

I wanted to add something that might be helpful. I downloaded the Intel Driver Utility (think that is the name, could be slightly off) that checks for out-of-date drivers and automatically downloads/installs new one. It said my Intel driver was out of date (even though I had updated it through Windows Device Manager earlier). I installed a new one...halfway through I got an error message that the driver wasn't compatible with my system and the installation appeared to terminate. However, the error has not occurred since then. Maybe a coincidence, and I will update if error does come back. The weird thing is when I use the Utility Manager program now, it says all my drivers are up to date and lists my Intel driver as the same one that I was trying to install when I got the "incompatible" error message. Almost as if I got the message, but it installed the driver anyways and now works fine, no driver errors in 2 days.

EDIT: After several days of no errors, they have returned. Got 2 last night and 1 today 😕

SBirc
Beginner

I am having the same problem but only with the Coin Dozer game app. Have you received any help with this issue yet?

0 Kudos
CBrya2
Beginner

Hello! I was also faced with the same problems not lond ago, and I tried many ways to repair this problem, but they didn't help. When I wanted to re-install system,a friend gave me a tutorial and tool which helped me http://goo.gl/XaZRRA repair display card disrespponded in my laptop. I think you can have a try!

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Always, I repeat ALWAYS, use caution when visiting and using these driver update sites.

Doc

0 Kudos
CDrah
Novice

The one I used was programmed by Intel, so I figured it was safe.

0 Kudos
GBray1
Beginner

This is getting worse - Last night my machine automatically applied a driver update for "Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600" on 1/30. Now this morning, the driver has stopped responding probably 20 times in the past hour. That happened intermittently before - a few times a day, but it was tolerable. Since the update, it's happening almost endlessly. I'm using a very simple machine - a Gigabyte Z97-D3H Motherboard with an Intel Core i5 4690 CPU. Other than a Samsung SSD and 16GB of Patriot memory, there's nothing else on this machine. Windows 10, latest updates installed.

It hangs when I'm running VMWare often, then recovers. Now, it started hanging when I touch the "Windows" key. It hangs when I type in the Cortana search window.

It happened so frequently that Windows "blocked a program from accessing the graphics hardware". Which one? Microsoft's own "Search" applet that starts every time you hit the Windows button. Ugh...

The update on 1/30 made things MUCH WORSE!!!

KShal
Novice

Same problem.

ASUS ROG G56JR

Intel i7-4700HQ with Intel HD Graphics 4600 (driver version 15.40.10.64.4300 / 20.19.15.4300 downloaded from here https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25489/Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-10-15-40-4th-Gen- https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25489/Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-10-15-40-4th-Gen-)

NVIDIA GTX760M (driver version 361.75)

Windows 10 x64

So, the problem is around 5 months old, and you still don't have any solution. It's very dissapointing.

IBara3
Novice

Thank you for posting your question. I believe you may have touched a nerve in a lot of folks! I recently purchased a Dell Inspiron 7000 series 2 in 1 with 4K monitor. It had the same issue as you described. I am not a techno wiz so I called Dell. After taking command of my computer remotely, they couldn't figure it out and told me to return it for replacement. I did that and the new computer has the same issue. Talking to Dell is out. I learned more from this forum than I did spending an hour with the Dell rep, plus I could hardly understand him! The computer came with windows 10 installed. For me being old school, I prefer an older version of windows but time marches forward. My screen freezes up randomly and I receive the error message as you described. From the replies, it seems that no particular brand is immune to this issue. Again, thanks for your post. I hope it's an Intel issue as Intel seems to be much more open and customer friendly than the Windows people. Can't get squat from them!

MCohe6
Beginner

Hi All,

I have no Sceenshot to post, because the error was too fast and mentioned that the Display Driver has stopped responding for Windows 8 or 8.1 on my Dell Laptop. I went from Win 7 Home Premium Service Pack 1 to Windows 10 Home 64-Bit .

0 Kudos
Allan_J_Intel1
Employee

You have second generation graphics on the Intel® Core™ i3-2310M Processor. Please bear in mind that your graphics controller does not have Windows® 10 driver support.

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/graphics-drivers/000005526.html Supported Operating Systems for Graphics Drivers

Allan.

0 Kudos
WKane1
Novice

Allen,

This issue has popped up on many computers and has been stagnant for months. It is not related to just one manufacturer and the only common link is the graphics use of the Intel offerings.

If this is not related to Intel but is due to Microsoft failing to test the Win 10 upgrade it's time to let people know. Regardless off the updates or downgrades it continues and seems to be getting worse because of the increased use of the graphics that brings on the problem.

In most cases it does reset and allow the user to continue but in a lot of instances it requires a refresh of the displayed screen and that in some cases fails.

If possible can you do a little push on the engineers.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Allan_J_Intel1
Employee

I am sure our engineering department is aware of this issue. Thank you for your comments.

Allan.
0 Kudos
GBray1
Beginner

I am sure our engineering department is aware of this issue. Thank you for your comments.

Perhaps that's the case, perhaps not. The issue has been persistent and intermittent.

I'm hopeful the fix that Microsoft pushed 1/30 addressed the issue, but it's still TBD. Microsoft pushed a driver update through Windows Update on 1/30, identified as "Intel Corporation driver update for Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600". For my computer, it installed successfully at 6:41:49am on 1/30. Unfortunately, over the next 8 minutes, I had 6 instances of "Display driver igfx stopped responding and has successfully recovered." in the Event Viewer, followed by "Application SearchUI.exe has been blocked from accessing Graphics hardware."

Now for the good news... I haven't seen this error since Monday, 6:49:58am. Fingers crossed.

The flurry of errors after Windows Update might have been from the installation process, although it took a full 8 minutes after the installation before they subsided. I'm also withholding judgment because there were frequently 2-3-day gaps between errors.

Date - # Errors

1/26 - 3x, 1/25 - 1x, 1/21 - 1x, 1/19 - 2x, 1/18 - 2x, 1/15 - 3x, 1/12 - 1x, 1/9 - 1x

If others are seeing this on Win10, try running Windows Update to make sure the latest driver is installed. For the 4600 series, I received version 20.19.15.4331 which was published in mid-November, but just came through Windows Update on Jan 30th.

Good luck!

0 Kudos
MCohe6
Beginner

allan_intel wrote:

You have second generation graphics on the Intel® Core™ i3-2310M Processor. Please bear in mind that your graphics controller does not have Windows® 10 driver support.

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/graphics-drivers/000005526.html Supported Operating Systems for Graphics Drivers

Allan.

Hi Allan,

Since I only use the Dell Laptop to record TV Shows for time-shifting, it doesn't matter. I haven't seen that error, except for one time.

Does this Processor have Windows 10 Support?

http://www.parts-people.com/index.php?action=item&id=14222 Dell Inspiron 17R (N7110) Intel Core i5-2450M Dual-Core Processor 2.5GHz / 3MB cache CPU Processor SR0CH
0 Kudos
IBara3
Novice

Hello All,

I have been following this since my NEW lap top which is a Dell Inspiron with the Intel 6th Gen I7 Processor and Windows 10 factory installed displayed the graphic card issue right out of the box. Based on the chart Allan sent out, the 6th generation processors are not listed on the chart. I know VERY LITTLE about computers but thanks to this site and discussion I have learned about my problem with this thing. Thank you all for your input. That being said, am I going to have to wait 6 months for somebody to push out a resolution for this issue on the 6th gen processors? Is this a windows issue or an Intel issue?

0 Kudos
MCohe6
Beginner

fedinspector wrote:

Hello All,

I have been following this since my NEW lap top which is a Dell Inspiron with the Intel 6th Gen I7 Processor and Windows 10 factory installed displayed the graphic card issue right out of the box. Based on the chart Allan sent out, the 6th generation processors are not listed on the chart. I know VERY LITTLE about computers but thanks to this site and discussion I have learned about my problem with this thing. Thank you all for your input. That being said, am I going to have to wait 6 months for somebody to push out a resolution for this issue on the 6th gen processors? Is this a windows issue or an Intel issue?

Hi fedinspector,

I would include a Snapshot of the System Properties, so Intel can see your Processor information, like below.

0 Kudos
IBara3
Novice

Thank you for the suggestion I believe below is what you are suggesting I post.

Here is the info on the windows software that came installed in lap top.

Once again, thanks for the tip. I would have never thought of that. Hopefully this will help intel.

0 Kudos