Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20985 Discussions

Alienware m15 r4 - Intel Graphics Command Center Built-in Display not HDCP Compliant

Mysterious
Beginner

Hi Team,

I have split out this onto a new thread as per instructions from @Andres_Intel 

Re:No Netflix 4k or HDR because of broken HDCP 2.2 on Intel iGPU...and more - Page 2 - Intel Community

I am unable to play 4K Netflix on my Alienware m15 r4 laptop via the built-in display. 

The Intel Graphics Command Center states that the built-in display is not HDCP Compliant:

Mysterious_0-1689496161975.pngMysterious_1-1689496191909.png

Windows is up to date and the latest BIOS & Drivers have been installed as per Dell's support site.

Kind Regards,

Mysterious

0 Kudos
12 Replies
Hugo_Intel
Employee

Hello Mysterious

Thank you for posting on the Intel Communities. I am sorry you are experiencing issues when trying to use Netflix on your system due to HDCP compatibility.

I see you have done some troubleshooting from the previous thread and I would like to ask you for a couple more pieces of information:

• Was this working before? If, so was there any update, or hardware change that you remember previous to this issue occurring?
  • Create a System report following these instructions. Only use the instructions under Intel Graphics Command Center (Intel GCC).

Best Regards,

Hugo O.

Intel Customer Support Technician.

0 Kudos
Mysterious
Beginner

Hi Hugo,

I can't confirm if it was working prior as I have only attempted to utilize Netflix on this machine since the beginning of this month.

I normally watch Netflix on my TV in the living room but as it is winter here in Australia I decided to change to my bedroom where I keep my laptop.

I have attached the report as requested.

Kind Regards,

Mysterious

0 Kudos
Hugo_Intel
Employee

Hello Mysterious

Thank you for the information. Based on this laptop's specifications, the manufacturer's website shows it should be HDCP compatible using its HDMI port but no mentions of the built-in display. Could you please test it by connecting the laptop to a TV through HDMI and checking if Netflix works in this configuration?

Also, please let try reinstalling the driver using Display Driver Uninstaller, first test the latest version 27.20.100.9664 provided by your system manufacturer, and if the issue persists test the latest generic version 31.0.101.2115 we offer.

Best regards,

Hugo O.

0 Kudos
Mysterious
Beginner

Hi Hugo,

I have downloaded the Display Driver Uninstaller and followed the instructions. Unfortunately, neither 27.20.100.9664 or 31.0.101.2115 worked.

Netflix still displayed the error message.

When I connect my laptop to my TV via the HDMI cable the control panel states that the video output is from the Nvidia GPU. 

Due to the Nvidia GPU being utilized the Netflix app plays but it defaults to Full HD. It will not allow the option of 4K playback.

I contacted Netflix and they have advised me that due to DRM they will only allow 4K playback via the Intel CPU with HEVC app installed.

Kind Regards,

Mysterious

0 Kudos
Hugo_Intel
Employee

Hello Mysterious

I see from the previous thread you already have an HEVC extension installed on your system, correct? In this case, we will need to further look into this issue, however, please also, let's try reinstalling the Netflix app to make sure there are no corrupted files or installation.

Best Regards,

Hugo O.

0 Kudos
Mysterious
Beginner

Hi Hugo,

I have tried reinstalling the Netflix app and it hasn't made a difference.

I still receive the same error message.

Kind Regards

Mysterious

0 Kudos
Hugo_Intel
Employee

Hello Mysterious

Thank you for letting us know. I will check this issue with our team and I will let you know once I have further troubleshooting steps or recommendations.

Best Regards,

Hugo O.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
Hugo_Intel
Employee

Hello Mysterious

After reviewing this issue with our team, our recommendation is that you reach out to your system manufacturer since there might be hardware limitations that might prevent the HDCP feature to work on the built-in screen. Since as outlined in their website only the HDMI should have this capability.

Best regards,

Hugo O.

0 Kudos
Hugo_Intel
Employee

Hello Mysterious

I see there are no further questions related to this topic so we will proceed to close this thread. Feel free to open a new topic if you need further assistance. 

Best Regards,  

Hugo O. 

0 Kudos
Mysterious
Beginner

Hi Hugo,

I have just had a Dell Technician come over to replace the motherboard of the laptop. It seems to have fixed the issue even though the Intel Graphics Command Centre gives the same error message.Blade Runner 2049 Playing 4K on Laptop Screen.png

Thank you for your hard work!

Kind Regards,

Mysterious

0 Kudos
Mysterious
Beginner

Hi Hugo,

Bad news. 

After the motherboard replacement the laptop needed to update the BIOS.

As soon as that happened I got the previous error message.

I am escalating again with Dell Support.

Kind Regards,

Mysterious

0 Kudos
Mysterious
Beginner

Hi All,

Just wanted to provide an update. Dell has supplied a new BIOS 1.18 that has fixed this issue.

Hope this helps anyone else that had the same problem.

Kind Regards,

Mysterious

0 Kudos