Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20771 Discussions

Arc Control compatibility Issue for newest drivers - Intel Arc A770

Warden330
Beginner

Hello Community, 

i have noticed a strange behaviour with Arc Control recently. 

The Issue: Arc Control gets installed with the Driver and the icon shows up in the tray, also all processes are running as per usual but it is impossible to open the interface and therefore to change any settings. Since i want to use the full wattage and a Curve for the Fans this is a slight problem. It is a strange behaviour, on previous Versions it works instantly without any issues.

Affected Drivers: 

Other tested Drivers(work fine without any issues):

Data:
Windows 11 Pro(for Workstations)
Arc A770 16GB LE

I5 10600
32GB DDR4 Ram 3200mhz
ReBar ON

XMP ON

So the last 3 Drivers all have the same problem and i searched a lot and found like 3-4 reports of a similar behaviour. It seems to affect only a small number of users.
Im a Programmer and have experience in error management and bugfixing. I tried the following possible solutions without effect: 

- Clean Driver Install after using DDU
- Clean Driver Install in Safe  Mode after using DDU twice
- Clean Install after DDU without Arc Control, Manually installing Arc Control from a working Driver Version
- Setting Arc Control as Exception for Firewall and Antivirus
- Starting Everything with Administrator Privileges

I was just wondering: Does anyone else have the same Issue? Are the Developers aware of this? Any additional ideas how i might fix this myself?

Thank you and have a great day!

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
8 Replies
RamyerM_Intel

Hello Warden330, 

Thank you for posting in the communities. I will proceed in coordinating this information with our team and get back on this thread as soon as possible. Thank you for your patience and cooperation.

Ramyer M. 

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
RamyerM_Intel

Hello Warden330, 

Thank you for patiently waiting. Our replication attempts using driver versions 31.0.101.5444 and 31.0.101.5379 were successful, allowing us to open the Arc Control panel and adjust the fan curve settings. To further investigate this for you, we kindly ask if you can send us a screenshot or screen recording showing the issue you encountered. You can give us a step by step instruction on how you are experiencing this issue this way we can be more accurate as possible. as this information is crucial for our diagnostic process. I will be waiting for your reply. Thank you!

Ramyer M. 

0 Kudos
RamyerM_Intel

Hello Warden330, 

I am just looking for an update regarding the information we requested. Kindly please let me know about this information so we can identify the next steps that needs to be taken to solve this issue. 

Ramyer M. 

0 Kudos
Warden331
Beginner

Hello Ramyer M,

my apologies for the delayed response. The Post initially got tagged as Spam and i thought that was because i couldnt provide any reports since Arc Control does not work. So i disabled my Account since then. Thats also why i have a different Display Name now. 

I will collect a few Screenshots to give you further information as soon as possible and post them here later.

For now i can provide you with a Step by Step Guide what i did: 

1. Before any Version tested i ran DDU twice in Safe-Mode, making Sure that there are no Files left, i even deleted the Intel Folder where Arc Control gets installed to make sure that was not the culprit after a few tries. 
-Additional info: when i tried just installing the newest Version over one other without DDU, like for example 31.0.101.5445 over 31.0.101.5444 with "clean install" selected in the Installer the installation quits with an error message, i will add that to the Screenshots later. The Error Message was just something like "Installation Failed, please try again alter" if i remember correctly

2.  As stated in the original Post 31.0.101.5333 runs without any issues. So i additionally tried to just run the update through Arc Control on the running version. The result was the same. I did this several times with all tested Versions to make sure it was not a one-time error.

3. of course i checked for similar issues and found some Posts, for example this one https://community.intel.com/t5/Graphics/Arc-control-not-opening-since-5379/m-p/1591018 which provides a few suggested Solutions, which i all tried and they did not work.

4. After running DDU i started the installer as Admin and ran it as usually, making sure that at the end the checkbox "Open Arc Control" is not checked. Then i restarted the PC with the button in the installer.

5. When the PC starts Arc Control seems tob e running in the backround or atleast some of its functions, since it shows up in the Icon Tray on taskbar, but double clicking the Icon, right clicking and selecting "open" or even using the Key-Combination for opening Arc Control just had no function. Nothing loads, no windows opens, just no reaction

6. I checked Task-Manager for all Arc Control Processes, stopped them manually and restarted Arc Control with no effect. 

7.  i searched the Files to find the Arc Control installer, deinstalled it manually and reinstalled it, even tried reinstalling it from the last working Version. With still no effect.

My Guesses so far: 
- it could be cause my Windows Version is a bit unusual, since it is Windows 11 Pro for Workstations
- it could be caused by a faulty Windows Defender Update
- It could be caused by Norton 360 which i use on this System as Antivirus and Maintenance Tool

If this continues further i might try to reinstall Windows. That would be my last option though since i use this System also for Work and i have to find some time to get this done.

I Hope this helps and i will provide the Screenshots later when i have some time. I will try to recreate it with all the Versions i had issues with to give you as much input as i can. 

Thank you for your efforts! 
Warden331 / Former Warden330

0 Kudos
Warden331
Beginner

Hello Ramyer M,

i attemtped another clean installation of Version 31.0.101.5333 and 31.0.101.5445 to get some Screenshots. My apologies that they are in german, there seems to be no way to change the language and it just chooses the system language?
Version_5445_active_TasksVersion_5445_active_TasksIcon_tray_workingIcon_tray_working

The Above Screenshots are from Version 5445-Tasks are active in Taskmanager and it shows up as Icon  in the Taskbar.

Arc_Control_Working_5333Arc_Control_Working_5333

Arc Control working perfectly fine on 5333

Error_Repair_attempt_5445Error_Repair_attempt_5445

Error-Message when trying to run the Isntaller vor 5445 again to repair the driver "An Error occured, the installer could not correctly install this Driver, Please restart your System and try again. If the Problem persists please contact customer Support for further assistant" roughly translated. 

Version_5445_Starting_arc_Control_missing_NotificationsVersion_5445_Starting_arc_Control_missing_Notifications

Right edge of my Main Display where Notifications appear on 5333, showing the hotkey to open Arc Control. On 5445 the Notifications dont appear. Thats the first clue something went wrong. 

I hope this helps. I also attached an SSU report with 5445 actively installed.  If you need anything else let me know, i will gladly provide any information i can if it helps improving the Software. 

0 Kudos
RamyerM_Intel

Hello Warden330, 

Thank you for sharing this information. We will proceed in investigating this internally for you and get back to you on this thread once a solution is available. 

Ramyer M. 

0 Kudos
Warden331
Beginner

Good Day Ramyer M!

i just wanted to let you know, that Version 5522 initially had the same issue but i managed to fix it and now Arc Control runs again.
While having some issues with the Driver in a game i just tried to reinstall the Driver manually without DDU, as a clean installation. 

On first attempt i again had the weird Error-Message, but then i had an idea and looked into the Logs of my Antivirus. I Noticed that there were several warnings about suspicious behaviour in the Data Protector - Logs. 

I had Arc Control and the whole Intel folder listed as exclusion from all scans to see if that was the  issue and i got the idea to undo these settings to see if i get any warnings. And sure enough, while running the installer again Windows and the File-Insight Protector issued warnings and blocked a file from functioning during the installation process. It seems that Norton and Windows both rate this Files behaviour during installation as malicious and dangerous and therefore block it from working. 

In The End i just tried the installer again after whitelisting this File and resetting the configuration for trusted Files and Folders to standard and again got the Error Message, but then i restarted the PC, returned all Settings to standard and it worked. Very weird Situation and i cant pinpoint what exactly caused it to work now, since the working attempt was with standard Settings of Norton and the affected file NOT whitelisted. 

I could provide you with one of the Logs from Norton if needed, they are in german though,  the affected File that got blocked was: 

- OneApp.IGCC.WinService:LACE.exe

Additionally during the Process a Crash Reprot for ArcControlAssist got generated by Windows. That could probably be caused by the Repair/New Installation and has nothing to do with the issue. I suspected it might be an issue with Norton specifically but that would not explain why 5333 and every version before that work without issues one every attempt i made without changing any settings so im a bit out of ideas. 

I hope this helps to find the reason behind this Issue, im happy it is working now but will gladly assist in finding the Problem to prevent this from affecting other users in coming Driver Versions. 

Best regards, 
Warden

0 Kudos
RamyerM_Intel

Hello Warden331,

We extend our deepest gratitude for your exceptional troubleshooting efforts. Your insightful discoveries are invaluable and will undoubtedly assist other users facing similar challenges.

Furthermore, we invite you to explore the recently published article, "Intel® Arc™ Control Software Fails to Launch after Installation," a resource created thanks to your valuable contributions.

I will be closing this case now but should you need assistance in the future, do not hesitate to reach out or create a new thread as this one will no longer be monitored. 

Ramyer M. 

0 Kudos